380 Motor for Temper?

PNW Offroad

Howdy everyone. My first post here; been reading a lot of what y'all are doing with your Tempers and it looks like a great crowd. A buddy bought one, let me run it around and of course I had to get one. I've gone down the mod rabbit hole already and didn't even drive mine stock. Anyway, on to the questions….

So I bought the Dynamite Tazer 280 motor that everyone seems to like. Should be here in a few days. What I'd like to know is, is anyone using the Tazer 380? ECX's site says the stock motor is a 380 size, so it should fit. I found some dimensions on the 380 and it looks fine. Has anyone tried it? Is it simply too much? Or high turns and too slow? Funny how ECX don't give turns on the stock motor, and how Dynamite don't give turns on their smaller motors that fit the Temper.

I can't comment on the 380, but the 280 is perfect imo. Quick enough to not be boring but not so fast it's ridiculous.

Nate, that's exactly why I bought the 280. Folks like you who have it like it a lot. Guess I can't help wondering what the 380 would be like, since that's supposed to be the same size as the stock motor. I know the guts in the motor have a lot to do with it, especially the number of turns. I can't find the turn spec for the 280, 380, or the stock motor so it looks like kind of a crapshoot on what you'll get. I suppose the Tazer 380 could be just like the stock motor, or faster, or slower. Unless there's something I'm missing; the RC world is new to me and I'm still wrapping my head around all the abbreviations, terms and nomenclature.

That just might be in the works. After applying some google-fu I found the Tazer 380 is 25T, which isn't a crazy fast motor but not as slow as most crawler motors. Then there's gearing to consider. It just might work…...

That might be a good one too. There's also a 370 Traxxas out there that's 28T. Lots of stuff to play with.

Last edited:
Brandyn, that might be true. Certainly a lot of folks here seem to like the Tazer 280. Me, I'm pretty close to the bottom of the learning curve for rc, so I don't know how they'd compare at all.

I got the Tazer 280 a few days ago. Gotta say for $10, that's a heck of an upgrade. Just a lot more fun all the way 'round. Still crawls well, just have to be smoother on the throttle and it's now fast enough to have to look out where you're going. The extra rpm's have also helped get up an over some stuff that I didn't before.

I would say it's doubled in speed still has tons of torque. You can get it to wheelie going forward then hitting reverse. Lots and lots of torque twist.
Sounds like a win. Thanks for doing that and letting us know what it's like. So far I'm liking the Dynamite 280; has plenty of speed and torque, so far. I'm wondering if ECX got it right on their site, saying the stock motor is a 380. I'm thinking probably not if you had to drill holes for more mounts. I think my next mod will be the four link conversion, which seems to be the only way to really get rid of the torque twist. Reversing the motor just sends it the other direction, and spacers on the shocks hide it at the expense of articulation.

Stock is not 380 no way i put a 380 in mine it required filling transmission case and new mount holes

Stock is not 380 no way i put a 380 in mine it required filling transmission case and new mount holes
Yeah, I was starting to wonder. I just checked again to make sure and it does say on ECX's site that the motor is a 380 size. Obviously not. Brandyn, you said earlier you were looking at the Dromida 370. Did you go with something different that's a 380? What do you think?

Just received a Taser 380 way too big to fit in truck. You would have to widen the chassis. The dromida 370 is the largest can you can fit with minor mod of the motor plate. You will need to solder new leads on the dromida.

Just received a Taser 380 way too big to fit in truck. You would have to widen the chassis. The dromida 370 is the largest can you can fit with minor mod of the motor plate. You will need to solder new leads on the dromida.
You will also need larger motor mount screws the stock motor screws are a smaller diameter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back