Boost getting a makeover

rob5059

This my 1st buggy style RC, and I will say out of the box it is OK. My 2 biggest complaints are the Phillips screws, and the front tires. The front tires don’t seem to get any traction, and just slide. Minor problems, and easy fixes. Like all of my RCs, nothing stays stock for long. So I got my 1st group of parts in yesterday, and should be receiving the rest today.

IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0572.JPG
So last night I ran into my 1st problem. I went to install the RPM two stage pistons in the shocks and they will not work. The ECX piston is 2mm thick, and the RPM pistons are 2.5mm thick. In my spare parts I found some Traxxas shafts that will work on the rear shock, but I need to find a set of 41mm shafts for the front shocks.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing it with aluminum parts. I almost went that route with my sons boost, decided to hold off tho. What kind of tires did you stick on it ?

I put AKA Rebar tires on my boost, handles so well at the local track, I race on indoor clay surface

Well, here it is with the upgrades. The quality of the ECX upgrade parts seems to be good. The only complaint would be the shocks; they have plastic caps and no Ti shafts, but they do have a diaphragm. I did not install the RPM dual stage pistons, I am still trying to find a 41mm shock shaft for the front shocks. As for tires, I need to swing by the LHS and see what everyone else is using on the dirt track.

We will see how everything holds up today. The grand kids, 3 & 5 are coming up. IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

Yeah looking good, you can get the traxxas aluminum shock caps to replace the plastic ones.They have green ones, I bought the red ones for my orange/red amp mt, just dont forget the traxxas diaphrams.

Well the upgrades held up to the grand kids. I think they found a way to smash in to every light pole in the school parking lot.

Thanks @Austxhorn for the info of the traxxas caps. I have a set blue ultra caps that fit.

How do the new caster blocks, spindle blocks, and rear axle carriers work? Do they remove any of the play present in the stock setup? I see you used the RPM SS eliminator bellcrank, are you using any kind of servo saver?

How do the new caster blocks, spindle blocks, and rear axle carriers work? Do they remove any of the play present in the stock setup? I see you used the RPM SS eliminator bellcrank, are you using any kind of servo saver?
I think the RPM bellcrank eliminate most of the slop. I do not run servo savers on anything that I own. I will run the stock servo until it dies, and replace it with a 7955 and BEC. As for the alum upgrades; the quality of the parts is nice, but I do not believe they removed any of the slop. I plan on replacing all of the links with Traxxas turnbuckles.

I think the RPM bellcrank eliminate most of the slop. I do not run servo savers on anything that I own. I will run the stock servo until it dies, and replace it with a 7955 and BEC. As for the alum upgrades; the quality of the parts is nice, but I do not believe they removed any of the slop. I plan on replacing all of the links with Traxxas turnbuckles.

If you have a quality servo with all metal gears and don't do anything stupid, then a servo saver only serves to weaken your steering. I pretty much do as you do with my RCs as well.

Most ESC cannot supply the current for a power hungry servo, and can cause brown out when using the throttle and steering at the same time. The BEC will allow you to adjust the voltage feeding your RX or servo depending on wiring. The higher the voltage to the servo, the faster the response time and torque.

On the Boost, I would power the RX from the BEC and set the voltage to 6V.

On my comp AX10, LNC, and XR10, I power the servo directly from the BEC and just plug the signal wire from the servo to the RX

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back