Brushless Ruckus / Torment question

Moldorak

Looking at the specs on ECX's website, the 2WD brushless Tormet and Ruckus share the same gearing. Only the tires of the Ruckus are much much larger (132 vs 108mm external diameter).
Seems weird, is it correct? Is the Ruckus overgeared or the Torment undergeared?

I would not say one is necessarily over or under geared, but most likely the ruckus will have a slightly higher top speed and slightly less torque.

I have the Torment. On a lipo, the motor run decently warm - 140f or so. On the stock Nimh, it ran pretty cool, <120f. I would guess that for the Ruckus on the stock nimh, everything will be OK. With Lipo, I would keep a close eye on motor temps and have a spare (smaller) pinion handy.

My thermometer of choice - $12 from Harbor freight - https://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

I also have a $30 one from home depot (With a lazer!) but I don't think it is any better. I use the HF one more, because I can drop it (and a lipo voltage checker) in my pocket. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-AAA-Alkaline-Infrared-Thermometer-MS6520H/206288127

I do think the Ruckus brushless is overgeared for 3s. I went down to 22t, it really made it come alive!

This is my Ruckus running on a 5700kv Castle motor and a 7000mAh 60C Gen Ace 3 cell battery with all metal gearing with 18 tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur.
I have no problem running this baby at 50 plus mph. Great truck!
20171210_165814.jpg 20171217_181639.jpg 20171217_181639.jpg 20171217_181739.jpg

I've been doing a lot of testing and lab work on ECX AMP and Ruckus 2 wheel drive trucks as I like to take them to the limit. Don't get me wrong, they are great trucks. So I have my Ruckus hopped up with a 5700Kv Castle motor, 3s 7000 mAh 60C LiPo, all metal gearing and big tires. The truck runs great but after about 5 to 10 minutes the truck stops due to a hot ESC. It's doing what it is suppose to do (shutdown when over heated) but it is annoying and not good when racing. I've using the Castle ESC fan to cool the ESC but found it's not pushing enough air to cool the ESC so mounted a more powerful fan directly onto the ESC. Will test the truck tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.

Attachments

• 20171219_000944.jpg
    20171219_000944.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
I've been doing a lot of testing and lab work on ECX AMP and Ruckus 2 wheel drive trucks as I like to take them to the limit. Don't get me wrong, they are great trucks. So I have my Ruckus hopped up with a 5700Kv Castle motor, 3s 7000 mAh 60C LiPo, all metal gearing and big tires. The truck runs great but after about 5 to 10 minutes the truck stops due to a hot ESC. It's doing what it is suppose to do (shutdown when over heated) but it is annoying and not good when racing. I've using the Castle ESC fan to cool the ESC but found it's not pushing enough air to cool the ESC so mounted a more powerful fan directly onto the ESC. Will test the truck tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.

Your problem is not - not enough airflow. it is too much motor. Or maybe too much voltage. What you need is a bigger motor can, with lower KV, and a bigger pinion. Plus probably a bigger ESC. I am guessing your combo is Sidewinder with the 3650 motor? Maybe step up to a 3660 SCT motor (ore even a 3675), and a 120a ESC. Get a bit lower KV and gear up. Keep your total RPM under 50k (you are above 60k now) (RPM = motor KV * Voltage).

Your problem is not - not enough airflow. it is too much motor. Or maybe too much voltage. What you need is a bigger motor can, with lower KV, and a bigger pinion. Plus probably a bigger ESC. I am guessing your combo is Sidewinder with the 3650 motor? Maybe step up to a 3660 SCT motor (ore even a 3675), and a 120a ESC. Get a bit lower KV and gear up. Keep your total RPM under 50k (you are above 60k now) (RPM = motor KV * Voltage).
Im using Castle 1406 combo 5700kv 4 pole.

Jerry, tomorrow im going to put a Castle 4800kv in the truck and see how it handles that motor. Thanks for the information. Everything's I've done doesn't seem to work. The 5700kv motor is running around 148 degrees. Question, if you gear up ( pinon) does that mean faster or slower?

If the motor is 150f, it is still safe. Motors are safe up to about 160, danger zone is around 180f. ESC limits are a bit lower.

To me, gear up means bigger pinion = faster top speed (assuming the motor can turn the gear)

gawd, I hate castles product naming... LOL... I know they make good stuff, but why call it a 1406? why not call it a 3650 like every other motor maker? Forcing me to google just to know what size motor someone with a Castle 1406 is running... Same with their ESC's. Is it really that hard to tell us an amp rating?
[/rant][/hijack]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back