Can't wait for some snow! (3d printed snow tires)

mikel81

Printed some snow tires. Tested the red amp already but the snow melted before the rest finished printing. Made the green tires wider after fitting the first set. They worked great forward but don't back up well, they just spin. I'm thinking about making skis for the amps next.

yP28lgu.jpg
ANPEY52.jpg

In the pictures they look rather small compared to the stock wheels/ tires. Can you post a side by side picture?

In the pictures they look rather small compared to the stock wheels/ tires. Can you post a side by side picture?

Sure. The ones on the amp are a slightly smaller diameter, and the pink ones are more narrow because I printed them first and didn't know if they would hit anything. I may print another wide set but they work great for now, we tested the red amp in 8" of heavy wet snow and it sprayed snow and flew.

uzQIthH.jpg

l0yZPAh.jpg

If you follow the designs many have done before....with snow and sand, it comes down to flotation. This means, your traction/control increases (to a point)...when you increase the surface area the drive wheels have. *This would be very beneficial in wetter snow. Wider 3d printed designs would give you more accellertion and also allow you to "float at speed" on the top few inches of the snow depth. **I would double your wheel width if I was to do it myself....stay the same diameter.

You don't need special tires to hydroplane over water. There are plenty of videos of Traxxas Slash 4x4's hydroplaning much further than that video on their stock wheels/tires. I'm not saying what he has isn't cool, just that it can be done without wheels like that. I imagine they would be great on snow though :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back