ECX AMP - Question about preventing spur gear stripping

b4sher

If I drive my ECX AMP very fast and suddenly brake (e.g to stop hitting a curb or a lamp post) does that damage the spur gear?

Thanks in advance

Tighten the topshaft nut all the way until you can't tighten it any more (don't go all #BeastMode on it, just use "normal" hand torque and you'll feel it when the nut stops), then back it off two full rotations. That's a good starting point for slipper adjustment. Generally speaking, if you are on a high-traction surface (asphalt, carpet) you want a tighter slipper. Loose surfaces like dirt: looser slipper.

Make your adjustments half a turn at a time.

Try this: with your slipper set to the "starting point" (as described above), loosen the slipper an additional half turn. Keep an eye on motor temps and periodically sniff the spur/slipper assembly. Smell (or see!) smoke, tighten half a turn. Test, repeat.

Tighten the topshaft nut all the way until you can't tighten it any more (don't go all #BeastMode on it, just use "normal" hand torque and you'll feel it when the nut stops), then back it off two full rotations. That's a good starting point for slipper adjustment. Generally speaking, if you are on a high-traction surface (asphalt, carpet) you want a tighter slipper. Loose surfaces like dirt: looser slipper.

Make your adjustments half a turn at a time.

Try this: with your slipper set to the "starting point" (as described above), loosen the slipper an additional half turn. Keep an eye on motor temps and periodically sniff the spur/slipper assembly. Smell (or see!) smoke, tighten half a turn. Test, repeat.
I trashed 4 spurs before I got it right. I run entirely on dirt and gravel. I loosened mine until it squeeled on take off and then adjusted it 1/8th turn at a time. Because I'm on dirt I want a stable take off and not much wheelies. My son is mad that his doesn't pop wheelies anymore, but everything lasts longer that way. I run a 4000 kv and yes even in a fast roll it will pop a wheelie, but it doesn't flip any more. I probably have mine adjusted to 1.5 mm of thread showing where ECX reccomends 2.5, but that's for a stock 20t motor. The age of your slipper spring matters too, so there is no exact formula.

Thanks so much for the information Jeb and i_r_beej! Really appreciate it

Okay - so I set up my gear mesh and set up my slipper clutch to how you guys recommended. Is it safe now to brake when driving??

Thanks so much for the information Jeb and i_r_beej! Really appreciate it

Okay - so I set up my gear mesh and set up my slipper clutch to how you guys recommended. Is it safe now to brake when driving??
It should be. I also set my brake force to 50% in the esc.

What is a good way to set up my slipper clutch?
Thanks for the response
Edit: my gear mesh is stock
The best way to set tg e slipper and pinion is to put a piece o f pepper between the two, push the spur and pinion together and tighten the motor mount screws. Rotate the spur by hand and remove the paper strip. You will see the meshing marks of the two gears. The ECX Amp is a great truck and easy to upgrade. I myself have changed out the plastic spur to a steel spur as I was always burning up spurs and breaking C.d.s. (rear axles). Also you can save your body and help roll-overs by putting plastic drawer handles on the top and back as shown in the graphic, reinforced with aluminum strips on the underside, also great for picking up your car. This car shown has a top speed of 85 mph.

Attachments

• 20170728_215132.jpg
    20170728_215132.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 16
The best way to set tg e slipper and pinion is to put a piece o f pepper between the two, push the spur and pinion together and tighten the motor mount screws. Rotate the spur by hand and remove the paper strip. You will see the meshing marks of the two gears. The ECX Amp is a great truck and easy to upgrade. I myself have changed out the plastic spur to a steel spur as I was always burning up spurs and breaking C.d.s. (rear axles). Also you can save your body and help roll-overs by putting plastic drawer handles on the top and back as shown in the graphic, reinforced with aluminum strips on the underside, also great for picking up your car. This car shown has a top speed of 85 mph.
thanks man!

2500.jpeg 2422.jpeg
thanks man!
Your welcome, here are some pics of my ECX AMP Monster truck. I have a 4600K bruhless Castle motor, all metal transmission gearing and metal spur gear along with aluminum drive shafts. 2500.jpeg 2500.jpeg

Attachments

• 2499.jpeg
    2499.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2499.jpeg
    2499.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12
Where are you all getting metal spur gears from? I have looked and can't find one for the AMP or do any of the ECX 2wd spur gears work?

Where are you all getting metal spur gears from? I have looked and can't find one for the AMP or do any of the ECX 2wd spur gears work?
The address below is where I get my upgrades, steel spurs and steel axles. RC Plant is in Utah and there turnaround (at least here in San Jose, Caif.) is about five days. You can also go onto Ebay and search "metal spur gears". If you have Papal that's the best and quickest way to pay, but you probably already know that LOL. Good luck and hope all works out for you. If you need anymore help please don't hesitate to ask. You can also email me at [email protected].
Happy RC'ing
https://www.rcplanet.com/hot-racing_s/7877.htm

The address below is where I get my upgrades, steel spurs and steel axles. RC Plant is in Utah and there turnaround (at least here in San Jose, Caif.) is about five days. You can also go onto Ebay and search "metal spur gears". If you have Papal that's the best and quickest way to pay, but you probably already know that LOL. Good luck and hope all works out for you. If you need anymore help please don't hesitate to ask. You can also email me at [email protected].
Happy RC'ing
https://www.rcplanet.com/hot-racing_s/7877.htm
Thanks I will check that out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back