Motor Overheating

Drewman

Hey guys,

I've been battling an issue for a little while now and I was wondering if anybody had some thoughts on the matter. I'm experiencing some decent overheating issues on my Kinexsis 4000Kv motor (heres the link, https://www.horizonhobby.com/kinexsis/kinexsis-1-10-4-pole-4000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-kxss0501 ) and I dont really know how to fix it without sacrificing top speed. I have already converted from an 18T pinion to a 15T pinion (with the stock 86T spur) but it did not seem to help my cause at all, still too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds after probably only 4-5 minutes on pavement. One main problem I see is that my stock tires are filled with rocks (when i shake them it easy to tell) so maybe the extra weight is an issue. Any thoughts?

ECX Amp
15:86 gearing
Metal internal gears

Hey guys,

I've been battling an issue for a little while now and I was wondering if anybody had some thoughts on the matter. I'm experiencing some decent overheating issues on my Kinexsis 4000Kv motor (heres the link, https://www.horizonhobby.com/kinexsis/kinexsis-1-10-4-pole-4000kv-ESC-motor-combo-p-kxss0501 ) and I dont really know how to fix it without sacrificing top speed. I have already converted from an 18T pinion to a 15T pinion (with the stock 86T spur) but it did not seem to help my cause at all, still too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds after probably only 4-5 minutes on pavement. One main problem I see is that my stock tires are filled with rocks (when i shake them it easy to tell) so maybe the extra weight is an issue. Any thoughts?

ECX Amp
15:86 gearing
Metal internal gears
Have you tested what the temperature actually is? Anything 160 and under is safe but still will seem hot. I run my Kinexsis 4000 with 21:87 gears and it almost never goes over 158. I'd check and make sure nothing is binding in the transmission too. Spin the spur with the motor disengaged and make sure it's turning freely. I ran a cooling fan on mine for a bit as well. It dropped the temp by 10 degrees.

Agreed on getting an actual temperature of it really is overheating, You could try dropping the pinion another couple of tooths. In my scx10 II, I went from the stock 15 down to an 11 and it's still hot lol. I need to do some more work to get it figured out, but luckily for me those brushed motors are only like 10-20 bucks

Make sure your gear mesh is set properly set a piece of paper between the gears the put the screws in. i run my ruckus on 15 tooth pinion 87 tooth spur. On 2s it doesn't even get warm 3s it gets about 130, depending on how sensitive your hand is to heat it can feel really hot.

Get a good temp gun you wont regret it.

Amazon is a good place for one don't use meat thermometers(contact)they give inaccurate temps.

Have you tested what the temperature actually is? Anything 160 and under is safe but still will seem hot. I run my Kinexsis 4000 with 21:87 gears and it almost never goes over 158. I'd check and make sure nothing is binding in the transmission too. Spin the spur with the motor disengaged and make sure it's turning freely. I ran a cooling fan on mine for a bit as well. It dropped the temp by 10 degrees.

Jeb,
Could I ask what cooling fan you use if you run the Amp? I have been looking for some kind of alternative cooling system without completely ghetto-rigging it, and i'd be really happy to be able to run my 18T again if i could. And im pretty sure my gears arent binding (feel like i would've noticed that), but i might check it out once I get back from vacation.

Thank you for helping out!

Last edited:
Make sur your gear mesh is set properly set a piece of paper between the gears the put the screws in. i run my ruckus on 15 tooth pinion 87 tooth spur. On 2s it doesn't even get warm 3s it gets about 130, depending on how sensitive your hand is to heat it can feel really hot.

Get a good temp gun you wont regret it.

Amazon is a good place for one don't use meat thermometers(contact)they give inaccurate temps.

Kyle,

Gear mesh should be set properly, i actually had to dremel out the motor mount a little to get proper pinion-spur mesh. I am running a 2S lipo, so I dont think that is of too much concern. I guess i'll have to invest in a temp. gun though, i'll make sure to get one and keep this post updated once I can get my hands on one.

Thank you for the help!

Jeb,
Could I ask what cooling fan you use if you run the Amp? I have been looking for some kind of alternative cooling system without completely ghetto-rigging it, and i'd be really happy to be able to run my 18T again if i could. And im pretty sure my gears arent binding (feel like i would've noticed that), but i might check it out once I get back from vacation.

Thank you for helping out!
I did a post about mounting an integy cooling fan on the Amp. It's in the Amp forum I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X...ooling+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=51j51b86glL&ref=plSrch
Its amazing i use it on my ruckus for 3s keeps my temps down 30° or more. motor never goes above 90° on 2s. But my motor is the 3000kv kinexis.
That's awesome! I push my 4000 with a 21 T pinion. The 22 was over heating it and was too much for my needs anyway. I only hook it up for speed runs on our gravel rd. It wasn't gonna last long with crashes on the track and I don't run it top speed when racing anyway.

I come back with good news! Recently got a temp. gun and bashed my rc around for awhile and got a decently consistent reading of 120-125 on the 15T pinion, even though it was real hot to the touch (for me). If i had one more question for ya'll, I would ask what is probably the max pinion I could run while still staying under 160? Ill probably test out my old 18T tomorrow or the next day and see how that works, but I am not running any cooling systems at the moment.

I come back with good news! Recently got a temp. gun and bashed my rc around for awhile and got a decently consistent reading of 120-125 on the 15T pinion, even though it was real hot to the touch (for me). If i had one more question for ya'll, I would ask what is probably the max pinion I could run while still staying under 160? Ill probably test out my old 18T tomorrow or the next day and see how that works, but I am not running any cooling systems at the moment.
I have a 21t pinion in mine and it stays under 160 unless I'm just running it full throttle out on our gravel road for an extended amount of time. I turn the throttle down when I race it, but there is something fun about running it full bore through the parking lot after a race. It's more for shock value, the top speed isn't very practical where I live, but the Amp is relatively tough. I ran it into a tire of a parked car at full speed and only popped a steering arm link off. Walked over snapped it back in the ball stud and kept cranking.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back