New Short Course Track

IanFreeman

I am currently working on a short course track in my backyard, stay with me I know it sounds ridiculous. I purchased a torment and could not stop myself from upgrading the thing. Now, as every rc I have owned has done to me, the torment has dragged me way far into the hobby. I'm currently working on the design and layout but as anyone who has tried to build a track knows, they definitely are not cheap. I am 16 and I want to do this properly so I can host some events and let others around me enjoy the track, however I'm SERIOUSLY lacking in the funding zone. I have a job but just simply can not afford this on my own. Anyone willing to donate or interested in helping please contact me. I live in the North Eastern part of Ohio. Please, please consider helping, anything helps. As well as any tips anyone can give. Thank you, Ian Freeman.

You could start by building a dirt track. It's a lot of maintenance but your time is cheap, while a truckload of clay and a bobcat rental aren't.

Your dirt track will inform you about what you want from your clay track in future.

You could start by building a dirt track. It's a lot of maintenance but your time is cheap, while a truckload of clay and a bobcat rental aren't.

Your dirt track will inform you about what you want from your clay track in future.
Thanks for the reply, a few quick questions. Do you think it would be possible to build the dirt track simply with dirt from digging up the track, or do you believe I would need to purchase the dirt?
As well as is there anything is specific I should do while building the track?

You can make do with the dirt you dig up, e.g. for a raised turn you take it out the apex and shovel it over to the outside. The main problem is drainage: when it rains, such a dirt track will be full of puddles because it will be mostly lower than the average ground level of your yard. You also need to run on it frequently or spend a lot of time getting the weed growth in check.

The main things to pay attention to are visibility (determine a good place to have a raised driver's stand) and the size of the jumps, for which you may use wooden ramps so they don't erode. This also saves you having to dig up several wheelbarrows of dirt to make a sizable hump...

I like to dig up little tracks on the beach, it's a lot of fun. Before you know it you've spent an entire battery pack trying to get a tighter apex at that one sweeping bend that's almost full throttle, or trying to straighten the car up sooner so you can catch more air on the big jump :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back