OEM vs hobby charger/batteries

What charger and batteries do you prefer? Anybody here still using the dynamite chargers from horizon hobby?

I did for a while, and started having non-charging issues. The charger would go green, and the battery voltage would measure where expected, but I was only getting a few minutes of run time. If that. That is what started me down this happy modding trail.

I purchased some 3c lipo batteries, thinking I read somewhere that the stock esc and tazer motor could handle it. Apparently I was mistaken. I let the magic smoke out, and didn't have anything to catch it. ;)

When I purchased the batteries, I picked up a charger to match. The tenergy TB6-B. Great charger.

So, I am currently using Floureon 3s 30C batteries. No problems so far. Greatly increased run time over stock setup. Even with a lower capacity. 3000mah vs 5400mah from dynamite nimh.

What have your experiences been? Why did you upgrade?

I saw a lipo topic, but didn't see a general battery/charger topic. It takes a combination of both to get the best bang for the buck. Hopefully with no "bang" involved. I wanted small, smart, and adequate for my uses. I also use my charger for my kids power wheels, and charging cordless drill batteries. It allows me to keep track of actual measured capacity. I don't trust the "dumb" chargers.

I use the dynamite prophet sport plus and it works great for my turnigy lipos, but my two nimh speedpacks don't like it. It will report the charging is done but the battery will only measure a little over 8 volts and run time is low. I have to just keep on charging it, trickling overnight (it never finishes on 0.2A) until it charges up to 8.5V more or less (like it did at first).

Lately I've said screw that, put it on 5A and blast it several times. It'll stop after a few minutes that way, but at least it's getting heaps of current into them in a short span.

I have a couple of Hitec X1 chargers. X1 Mini is great, AC only and is US$50. Charges just about any battery chemistry (including lead).

X1 AC Plus is basically the same, but is AC/DC. US$70.

I charge Venom and Turnigy LiPo batteries and Dynamite NiMh speedpacks. Never any issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back