Quick servo question - AMP MT

valve90210

Hi all

I've just gotten hold of an AMP MT kit for my little boy which I'm going to build with him over the weekend, and wanted to ask a very quick question about the steering servo. I have a spare servo from many years ago when I built my own Tamiya Fighter Buggy RX and wondered if it would be any better than the stock servo and if it would be worth while installing rather than the stock one (if it'll fit of course)?

The spare servo I have is an Acoms IC AS-12

No, that servo is not worth the effort. The stock servo in the AMP is decent and will do the job. Save your effort for installing a newer, metal-geared servo. :)

<< Save your effort for installing a newer, metal-geared servo. >> I agree, Let him learn on the Amp servo and if it breaks or when he learns get a MG Hi Torque for less than $40--Savox or Futaba or Hi etc. It will be like getting a whole new car--amazing how much difference a good servo makes! Read the threads here and make sure the servo saver is not hitting the horn --> https://ecxforum.com/threads/steering-linkage-design-issue.396/

Cool, I didn't imagine the older servo would be much different but thought it just worth checking. I'll stick with the stock servo for now. Will have a look at that steering fix too, thanks

That's pretty much the point: The old Acoms servo won't be that much different. :) And thus not worth the effort, in my mind. If you're going to replace the servo, use a decent metal (or titanium) geared model.

When the time comes, I HIGHLY recommend HobbyKing's "Turnigy 1258TG" servo. Great specs at a really good price. Fast, strong, and inexpensive. I have two (one in a Boost and one in the AMP) and have raced them and bashed them for the past six months. In racing, my buggy has hit walls, posts, other cars, huge crashes from big air and the servo has not suffered one bit. I also switched to ball-and-cup camber links in addition to the (already) ball-and-cup steering links and these tend to pop loose and help prevent massive damage. The only downside is the lack of readily available replacement parts (you may be able to make other brands fit, such as PowerHD).

I also have a Savox servo and really like it but it cost twice as much as the Turnigy 1258TG. However, every shop sells them in my area also carries replacement gears, cases, etc. and additional parts are easily available to order wither through the shop or directly from Savox.

Last edited:
Just putting together my shopping list for getting myself an Amp MT and figured while I'm building it I might as well sort the steering to start with to save having to strip and rebuild later down the line but I'm not sure what servo to go for, I've seen various recommendations but the site I'm going to be buying from, doesn't stock the ones I've seen mentioned and I'm not sure exactly what to look for, might anyone be kind enough to to make a suggestion on those carried on this site:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc-systems/rc-car-categories/9910/991020

Thanks

Of the cheaper servos there I've only used the Tactic TSX45. I'd probably get that one, or the TSX40 (faster but less powerful). Both are more powerful than the stock servo (which in specs is about on par with a TSX35).

I just browsed through the list, and honestly, if it were my money I'd get the PowerHD9001. It seemed to strike the best balance between price, torque, and transit speed. Plus it has metal gears. Pair that with a plastic servo horn (sacrificial part) and RPM's Servo Saver Eliminator and you'll have a solid steering system.

Quiz is--Do you hit curbs with it? Has it taken many hard hits? Servos work well until they stop working--so the question is how long will they work and how much abuse will they take. This is one of a number of good candidates--We should keep in touch to see how these various servos are holding up.

Has anyone been using Hitec HS-645MG High Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo -- $32?? How are they doing?

I know someone who crawls with that hitec. It does the job. Realistically I think any $30 servo is going to be more than enough for the lightweight Amp and its modestly sized tires. A $20 reputable brand servo should already be overkill.

Quiz is--Do you hit curbs with it? Has it taken many hard hits? Servos work well until they stop working--so the question is how long will they work and how much abuse will they take. This is one of a number of good candidates--We should keep in touch to see how these various servos are holding up.

Has anyone been using Hitec HS-645MG High Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo -- $32?? How are they doing?
I have hit the curbs pretty hard, and have cartwheeled it quite a few times. For the price, and what I do with that truck, it works really well. I would recommend, however, upgrading to a metal servo horn, as mine stripped the stock ECX servo horn.

Members online

No members online now.
Back