RPM oversized rear hub carriers

rendnb

Just installed the RPM rear hub carriers, or rather, the OVERSIZED rear hub carriers. They take a bigger bearing than the stock ones. Instead of 5x10x4 its 5x11x4 (if you pick these up, make sure you buy new bearings with them as they don't come with them). Yes, they say 1mm exponentially increases the punishment the rear hubs can take. Well, I can't speak about that since I'm a pretty tame driver when it comes down to it. But, after installing the new carriers, all the slop in my rear wheels disappeared. Now theres a nice snug fit against the carrier on both wheels. Before I had a lot of play, but now its gone.

Took it for a test drive for 30 minutes tonight and everything was acting great! And looks like I fixed the problem with the left driveshaft rubbing against the edge of the carrier (all the paint on one of the driveshafts "cuffs" rubbed off); no more rubbing.

Keep an eye on the ballstuds. RPM's plastic is a little softer (?) than the ECX stuff. I had constant problems with ballstuds working loose. You can try using super glue (cyanoacrylate) as a threadlock but I didn't have great luck with that. (DO NOT USE regular threadlock-- it will damage the plastic according to RPM.)

Sweet vid. Im going to try a drill mine out to 11mm. See what happens. I shimmed my rear hubs and they are great.

Could you explain your shimming method? I got a bunch of RPM parts for Christmas, rear hubs included. Thanks in advance.

Shimming is adding a tiny washer in between parts like the bearing and the drive pin that the hex fits over. Adding a shim removes the back and forth play or "slop" in the stub axles. The interior diameter of the shim needs to be 5 mm or however big your stubs are.

Hope this helps

You got it buddy. Abec 6 bearings, free running diff gears a 10t pinion and a 2s lipo has made my ruckus 4x4 awsome. I swapped out the 7000cst in the rear diff to thick grease. More of a locked diff effect. Very nice. Coupled with the savox and its a beauty. I got some cheep aluminium hexs (£3) but where 5mm to 4mm so i drilled them out to 6mm to 4mm. Great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back