shock springs

Joshnewb

looking for other springs that will fit ecx aluminum shocks on my 1/10 ruckus

thanks for suggestions

I have tried these brands, and they all fit (some were a little tighter on the lower spring cup, some a little looser):
Axial (gray springs)
Associated (T4/B4 spring sets)
Losi (Older style, in all the fun colors! Sadly these springs are now discontinued and hard to find)

One thing: any springs labeled for use with "big bore" shocks will most likely not fit.

I'd say that the Associated spring sets, labeled for use with the T4, are your best bet in terms of selection and availability. They tended to fit a little snugly on the ECX shocks. But the price is good for a set which enables you to tune response for different surfaces.
Associated ASC1582 Truck/Buggy rear
Associated ASC1580 Truck front

Yes, those are exactly the springs. However, the red springs are fairly soft (2.6 lb/in rate)
The 2" long springs are technically for buggy front but you can get away with using them on the front of an AMP, you'll just have to run the pre-load collar wayyyy down. For longer truck shocks (like on the AMP) the 2.5" front and 2.75" rear are a better fit and give you more room to adjust pre-load.

You'll note that the stiffer range of springs are designed for the front and softer for the rear. Feel free to experiment. On my AMP/Circuit I run red in the front and orange in the back.

Check Ebay and Horizonhobby.com. Although sellers on Ebay seem to want to ask two or three times the original price because the springs are "vintage." (Ugh.) I've had good luck just visiting local hobby shops- I've found several that have had plenty of old stock... and they didn't charge extra for "vintage-ness." :D

Here's a list of (old) Losi spring part numbers:
FRONT BUGGY SPRINGS
Losi Part #
LOSA5128 2" Spring 2.5 Rate (Red)
LOSA5129 2" Spring 2.9 Rate (Orange)
LOSA5130 2" Spring 3.2 Rate (Silver)
LOSA5132 2" Spring 3.5 Rate (Green)
LOSA5134 2" Spring 3.8 Rate (Blue)
LOSA5135 2" Spring 4.1 Rate (Black)

REAR BUGGY & TRUCK (front and rear) SPRINGS
Losi Part #
LOSA5144 2.75" Spring 1.4 Rate (Gold)
LOSA5146 2.75" Spring 1.6 Rate (Gray)
LOSA5147 2.75" Spring 1.8 Rate (White)
LOSA5148 2.75" Spring 2.0 Rate (Yellow)
LOSA5150 2.5" Spring 2.3 Rate (Pink)
LOSA5152 2.5" Spring 2.6 Rate (Red)
LOSA5154 2.5" Spring 2.9 Rate (Orange)
LOSA5156 2.5" Spring 3.4 Rate (Silver)
LOSA5158 2.5" Spring 3.7 Rate (Green)
LOSA5160 2.5" Spring 4.1 Rate (Blue)

As for shock caps? I've read about people using Traxxas "big bore" aluminum shock caps but I've not personally tried that. (Never needed to.) I've used complete Traxxas Big Bore shocks on my AMP and didn't really like the way the shock cap eyelet was designed- I didn't feel that it provided proper freedom of movement (pivoting) during the range of suspension travel. Although they're working okay on my Boost.

It could be that the threads on the stock plastic caps are now damaged and will no longer properly engage. I'd recommend just buying a set of new ECX caps and threading them on carefully.

Maybe check your travel. The undercarriage of the AMP (or any car) should bottom out before the shock does. If the shock compresses fully before the undercarriage hits the ground, then the smaller, weaker components bear all the force. Make sure that the shock shaft rod end is screwed on all the way.

Members online

No members online now.
Back