Stand alone receive options?

Discussion in 'Temper' started by Granther, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Granther

Granther Member

Feb 16, 2017
    I was wondering what receivers will work with the stock radio other than the all in one that comes standard and the v3 that comes on the barrage. Will a spektrum work? Or any other brands?

2. AngusF

AngusF New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    I swapped over the stock guts from my Barrage, both the ESC and the receiver. I didn't even rebind, just used the Barrage's radio. The Temper's 2-in-1 went into a 1980s Radio Shack monster truck, which is much more fun with modern electronics.

My Barrage is now running a Spektrum receiver and an Axial AE-5 ESC.

3. Granther

Granther Member

Feb 16, 2017
    So you're running a spektrum receiver and the stock ECX barrage radio? I know the temper radio is a v2 and the barrage is a v3 so I wonder if it will work with a spektrum receiver.

4. AngusF

AngusF New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    No, sorry. I use a Spektrum DX4C with the Spektrum receiver. As far as I know, DSM-based radios won't talk to the ECX FHSS receivers.

5. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    FHSS is what ECX uses? If that's the case... a Futaba 3PV should work. Or any FHSS transmitter.

6. Granther

Granther Member

Feb 16, 2017
    I always heard the ECX rx/tx were spektrum based but if they are futaba, even better. Can anyone be a for sure on which? Or neither?

7. bitbitbit

bitbitbit Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, the transmitter from the Temper will work with the receiver from the Barrage? I am looking to put in a better ESC in my Temper and was looking into a cheap radio set up. I like the Temper transmitter just fine and if it works with the Barrage receiver, that would be a pretty cheap route to go. It's only 16 USD

8. Granther

Granther Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Sadly, no! I was hoping that was the case, but after emailing horizon hobby about it they said no. The v2 radio that comes with the temper, and a few other vehicles, is only compatible with the all in one ESC/receivers. So no go on just buying the ECX receiver that comes in the barrage and using the old temper radio.

9. bitbitbit

bitbitbit Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Oh, that sucks but thanks for the info.