Time to upgrade ! Diary of a rookie and his son...

KaOsphere

Hello guys, my almost 4 years old son and I have 2 amp mt at the moment.

li647sn.jpg

We started with some accessories because 9 hours for batteries charge wasn't an option...

Qyr0EMQ.jpg

After having tons of fun with them and bashing them very hard, what should happen, happened...

Broken parts :

For this one I took the part on the other and I will order spare parts from ecx.

sefcUGI.jpg

I wondered why the steering was shaky...

YGx3M68.jpg

This one is more problematic and will lead to probable brushless upgrade since the engine is really making a bad noise and won't probably live long...

cz6XGQN.jpg

So, at the moment, we have one amp up and running and the other waiting to be fixed.

The plan is to upgrade the (currently) dead one while waiting for the other to need same medicine...

First things first, I need to order a Dsft Set Long Compl HD(ECX232000) to repair the broken one.

The bearing and suspension are still ok for the moment so I chose to go into sexier upgrades.

I was thinking about was steering servo to start with.

If I choose any mentioned in the recommended upgrade thread (Power HD 1501MG, MG996R, or Hitec HS5645MG, would I need anything else to make it function properly ?

What would be more useful, installing a servo saver or the servo saver eliminator mentionned in the forum or going without any for the moment ?

Next, I saw on the forum that using the 13003 receiver I could go brushless without changing the Tx, could anyone confirm ? Which bl motor you would advise for going along with ?

Do you have any advice's regarding tires, to get more grip ?

Last question, which tool do I need to open and close connections between the motor and the Rx as seen in this picture :

shrqOew.jpg

Thanks a lot for reading,and most importantly for your help, I will post progression here as we learn our way !

Ecx metal gear set since you're running lipos and going bl.
Metal gear servo and the rpm ss eliminator
Direct replace your stock parts with the rpm versions (A arms etc)
Fast eddy sealed bearings.
Maybe a better front bumper :)
Personally id remove the stock esc/receiver combo, buy a bl motor/waterproof esc combo(make sure its suitable for 3s lipos) as its cheaper and get yourself a better (but still inexpensive)tx/rx combo.
Wheels with inserts (im getting the duratrax sixpack STs) but theres so many options here.

For the servo, don't buy the MG996R. It was only $3.98 so I bought one, it does not recenter. Absolute junk. You can probably use it to automatically open your front door though, it is hugely powerful. I got the next cheapest, the Power HD 1501MG and it's good. It's not very fast but it doesn't bother me. Be sure to use the 25T horn, otherwise you will strip it and bruise your ego :p

I would not buy the 13003 receiver unless money is no objection and you love the standard radio. For the price of two of those receivers, you have the FlySky GT3C with expo, model memory, a rechargeable lipo battery with a usb lead... And extra receivers are under six dollars.

For the motor leads, I don't know. I managed to remove them intact once by just pulling, the second time I pulled the connector off the lead and soldered it back together (otherwise it's just crimped).

If you want a cheap interim solution while you debate brushless, I've heard good things about the HPI firebolt 15T and it's only like $13. But like you I'm putting it off until the motor becomes undrivable, then I'll go for turnigy or leopard brushless setup.

I think it's a bit slower than stock but I haven't had the stock servo for a while now so I can't say for sure. I can tell you sometime next week when I pick up a stock buggy courtesy of this forum!

I'd recommend the PowerHD servo with the metal gear-train. I use a Turnigy 1258TG servo and it's just a rebranded PowerHD model (titanium gears) and it's been great. Out-performs the Savox 1258TG for about half the price! These servos use output shafts with 25 splines. Your AMP kit came with servo arms that will fit 23(stock), 24, and 25 splines so you'll be set. You can continue to use the stock steering assembly/servo saver or use the RPM SS eliminator. If you use the RPM assembly, I'd recommend that you pick up another couple spare servo arms- I use DU-BRO's heavy duty set. It features two arms that match the stock arms for length. With a metal-geared servo, the plastic servo arm serves as a "sacrificial" component in the event of a hard impact to the front end.

About the connectors between the ESC/Receiver and the motor: Those are called "bullet" connectors and you just pull them apart! No tools needed. You can just press them back together, too. Easy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! I went for the Tazer bl since (sort of ) waterproof combos are hard to find or considerably costy. I have been very surprised at how difficult it is to find spare parts from a single reseller. I ended ordering from 4 differents places. I'll post pictures and videos as things evolve.

Update: yes the power HD 1501MG is a tad slower than the stock one. It is stronger though and has metal gears, so I still recommend it.

/slaps forehead
Mr Turnigy 1258TG strikes again!! ;)

Yeah, you know me! I should start disclaiming any association with HobbyKing. Honestly though-- so few things have impressed me like that Turnigy/PowerHD servo. :)

The good news are :

8veUyGg.jpg

and

2vaFZ42.jpg

But the bad news is that the original motor crank screw is in US format and I had to order a new toolset to unscrew it...Waiting for it to arrive... :p

Did you upgrade the rear axles? Also, I highly recommend getting the T-bone front and rear bumpers. Otherwise, it looks really good!

Hey thanks for the info. Could you point me to some compatible upgraded axles, since english is not my native language, I lack technical vocabulary to be honest...Regarding the T bone bumpers, are they directly compatible or do I need to start getting my hands dirty drilling and adjusting parts ?

One more question, going brushless, can I continue using same gear shaft or do I need to change it for something more resistant ? It seems that by bad combination of power and torque, you can damage the motor...

Thanks a lot...

I guess a lot of that can depend upon where you live. I've started using the Hot Racing cvd axles (sect288). And the T-bone bumpers are made here in America. If you're across the pond, I don't know how easy it would be to get your hands on those. I know that others have used the Traxxas axles and have had good success with them. Installing the T-bone bumper required no modification.

Also, if you go brushless, it is highly recommended, if not required, to use the metal gear differential kit. I put the Kinexis 4000kv brushless kit in my AMP and haven't had any problems. The only thing I changed out where my axles.

Thanks for your help slowmethinks ! Most of this parts are really hard to find in europe ( to add confusion,I googled Kinesis brushless kit and found nothing at all...)

But I found liquid rc which seems to ship overseas.
I gonna make some stock to get the minimum shipping cost/item.

So I'm going to get :

-ECX 2wd Steel Cv Drive Shafts with Hubs
-ECX Metal gear set ( ECX 9001 )
-Some better bumpers.

Is the servo saver eliminator a smart move ? Tbh, I do not understand clearly what it does...( Remember the op ? Rookie yeah !! )

Here's a link to the motor combo. http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...1-10-4-pole-3000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-kxss0500

The RPM servo eliminator will help A LOT. Also, for what it's worth, I ended up buying too many aluminum Boom Racing parts. I also have a spare RPM servo eliminator as well as rear arms. I went with Hot Racing parts and I think you guys don't have access to them? Shoot me a message, I'll gladly sell them for cheap and ship them internationally.

Ok, my bad I did not understand your message, my bad I was looking for gear sets and only got motor/esc results...After another read, I understood my dumbness... :p
Regarding T-Bone shocks I guess that the compatible parts are Circuit st, right or is it Boost parts ? This is always confusing me, Amp is never mentionned...
I'll keep in mind your proposal for next set of upgrade, I just ordered from liquid rc which features Hot Racing...

Ok, my bad I did not understand your message, my bad I was looking for gear sets and only got motor/ESC results...After another read, I understood my dumbness... :p
Regarding T-Bone shocks I guess that the compatible parts are Circuit st, right or is it Boost parts ? This is always confusing me, Amp is never mentionned...
I'll keep in mind your proposal for next set of upgrade, I just ordered from liquid rc which features Hot Racing...
I was referring to the T-Bone bumpers. They are tough as hell and can take a beating...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back