What is the proper way of cleaning your RC car/truck?

Chuck1906

What is the proper way of cleaning your RC vehicle after a day in the dirt? I saw a video on youtube and the person said it was okay to just spray it off with a garden hose but is that really safe? I'm curious to hear what you all do. Thanks!

If you are properly waterproofed then yes. I have a basement shower with hand sprayer inside the basement door and we go to town spraying ours off then straight to the garage to dry off with an air compressor. Just make sure to keep the bearings lubed.

@Chuck1906 the way I've cleaned my RC's and have not had any problems with an RC being waterproof or not is to take a 50/50 mixture of water and Simple Green in a spray bottle.

Spray the RC down and let sit for a minute or two then either wipe down with clean cloth or air blast dry with an air compressor. Spray again on any stubborn spots and use an old toothbrush on any hard to reach areas.

This will leave the RC clean with a nice dull shine as well.

I avoid actual mud. A little wet dirt? No problem. But actual wet, squishy, sloppy mud? I avoid like the plague. I race cyclocross and mud is incredibly hard on equipment and water gets into everything. I shudder to think of water and silt getting into the tiny drivelines, gearboxes, etc of my cars.

After dirt I just let anything wet dry off then take a toothbrush and clean off any accumulation. Some careful blasting with canned air or a low-pressure (15-20psi) air compressor and it's done. Careful with air! You can actually blast grease/lubricant out of bearings, especially the stock shielded bearings in the ECX cars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back