Wraith Upgrade Project Stage 1

Discussion in 'Other RC's' started by rendnb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Ok,

So I was going to bench my Axial Wraith and not bother upgrading it as Axial RC's can be rather expensive to upgrade depending on the path you pick. I contemplated selling it as well, but since I built it from a kit, I feel a little attached to it lol. I don't really care about it looking "scale" but I do want it to perform well when I drive it.

My son is getting a crawler soon and instead of buying 2 at the same time, I'll get his now and get my new crawler around tax time. So.... I'm upgrading my Wraith piece by piece. The Wraith was my 2nd RC ever, and with it being a solid axle crawler/rock racer, I really didn't know what I was doing with it as far upgrades go. Getting back into the hobby after a 4 year break, I now know which path I'm going to go.

Stage 1:
    • Incision by Vanquish Stainless Steel Links and Steering Linkage - Done!
    • Hinged Hood Mod
    • Aluminum shocks - In 2 weeks
    • Metal Drive Shafts
    • Aluminum (or stainless steel) steering knuckles and carriers - completion after the shocks!
    • Bead lock rims with new tires - Final part of stage 1
    I was able to purchase the links today. They were not too bad for a Vanquish product and only ran me 60$ for the whole set which included the steering links. I had the day off today, so I went out, bought them, cleaned up and modified my work area (got some new tool holders and magnetic bowls over the weekend), and started to assemble. Took me about 2 hours, considering my 5 year old wanted to be involved as well. Here are the results of the new links!

I have to make an adjustment to the steering link as I think I tightened down the ends a bit too much, and now its got WAY too much toe in lol. Its an easy fix, but I deal with it tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    WoodiE likes this.
  2. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Started on my hinged hood mod tonight. Been reading a lot about it so I went out and bought all the parts to pull it off. First step, install the posts for the body pins. But, I screwed up and drilled the holes a tad too wide. Ended up having to use some E6000 adhesive on them to get them permanently in there. Tomorrow I'll finish up the bond with some CA glue, then I'll modify the hood piece for the hinges.

3. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
  4. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Did one more thing to the Wraith today. Popped the Spektrum receiver that came with my new DX4C out of the Ruckus and into the Wraith. I now need to buy a new receiver for the Ruckus, so I can use 1 radio for both trucks. Also ended up making a very makeshift crawler course. I cut down the weeds in our vegetable garden which hasn't been used in a couple of years (long story but we were conditioning the soil), and laid down some boards making some inclines and declines.

Crawled the Wraith around on those for a while today and gotta say, all that work has paid off. Now, I just need to get those shocks replaced with some softer springs to give it more flex. I'll update the thread once I have those and about to put them on!

5. X

X Conspiracy of One Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Good looking setup. Now that you have yourself a course, post up a video of it climbing through it!

WoodiE and rendnb like this.
  6. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    LOL I can do that... its a sad little course, but a course nonetheless. I now have an excuse to make that rock garden in the backyard tho haha!

7. X

X Conspiracy of One Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2015
    You don't need a good excuse to do something amusing, though sometimes it helps with the spouse's approval. :D

rendnb likes this.
  8. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Yes, the spousal approval would be good in this case lol. Its getting our kids off the couch and outside doing something so, I think its a winner either way.

9. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Installed new Integy Piggybacks tonight. They weren't my first choice, but they we're in my budget range. I had to ditch the stock shocks because they were just too damn stiff, plus I like my shocks to be metal.

Anyway, test drive tomorrow... and check another upgrade off the list for stage 1!

10. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    No maiden voyage with the new shocks today as it rained all day. I would normally go out in the rain and drive, but my Wraith's dated electronics are only water resistant and not waterproof; don't really trust them getting wet. So, just did a bunch of maintenance and found some issues I need to address.

It looks like I'm almost done with all the "low budget" upgrades. The last 2 things are the beadlocks/tires and driveshafts. I'd like to upgrade both at the same time, but more than likely I'll do them one at a time. Probably the driveshafts first since they're under 60$, then beadlocks.

I didn't think I'd be so close to ending stage 1 lol. But, during maintenance I noticed a bunch of issues that can be resolved with upgrades. Unfortunately, its the really expensive part! New electronics are always expensive, but a Holmes Hobby setup will make me happy with this rig. After that, all new axle assemblies including c-hubs and lockouts. Electronics are going in first, after all the stage 1 upgrades are done. That will be stage 1.5 lol.

After all of that and a new body, my Wraith will finally be done! Definitely have to say, I'm loving the crawlers and scalers at the moment and so are the kids. I see a Barrage for my youngest in the future....

**EDIT** After going through the "premium axle upgrades" I'm not sure what I'm going to do now with the axles. I might just leave them the way they are. But for now, finish up the beadlocks, drivetrain, and electronics, and call it finished. Axles upgrades are expensive, and looking for something that's not going to cost a small fortune.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  11. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    No major upgrades this week. I was going to buy new driveshafts but didn't have the cash to throw down on them at this time. Same with the beadlocks/tires; going to wait until next month to grab all of that.

Instead I went to my LHS looking for an accessory for the Wraith. First I had a light bar in my hands, but didn't like the Integy light bar even though it was reasonably priced. Instead, I think its time to fully move the electronics to the front of the Wraith, so I found a little 10$ Delrin plastic plate to mount in there. I'll get it mounted in and take some pics in a bit!

12. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Took it out for a short drive today as the weather cleared up a bit. Nothing crazy, just around the driveway climbing over my kids shoes lol. Suspension is even more responsive than when I put on the new links!

I'll take some pics and a video after I'm done relocating the electronics.

13. Brake Weight

Brake Weight Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2016
    A set of stamped steel beadlocks are a decent buy and wheel. Hot Racing or RC4WD. I've had good luck with the stock Wild Boar driveshafts. I've ended up with half a gallon ziplock full of driveshaft plastic spares. So twisting one wouldn't be too big of a deal...for me anyway.

I've got some roof and side templates if you're interested in making a new set yourself.

rendnb likes this.
  14. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Yeah I'm looking at the offerings from RC4WD as the shop close to me carries them. They have a bunch of 2.2's I'm looking at and probably next month I'll do the full switch over to bead locks. I tried to move the electronics completely to the front this weekend and failed miserably at it lol. I need a longer cable that attaches the ESC to the receiver... Just another trip to the LHS, and I'll be able to move the receiver box at least to the front.

I'm going to give the MIP's a shot for the driveshafts and see how they go. I was going to get the Integy's but the guy that helps me 99% of the time said he didn't like them. Apparently he broke one within 30 minutes of using them he said. Not sure if he was trying to gently steer me to the MIPs but, I could always just buy them and try them out since they're only about 30$.

Either way, this past week wasn't much of an upgrade week for me. Mostly just fitting in the tray for the front, moving around electronics (or seeing what I could and can't move), and getting a new precision screw driver set.

15. Brake Weight

Jul 25, 2016
    I'll post my templates up just in case. One is a copy of a front electronics tray. The holes were spot on for the used Wraith I pulled the tray from to scan. But when I tried to install it in another Wraith I realized that the front mount for the Rx box was a little shorter. Go figure. So do put your holes before test fitting.

As for the MIP shafts they'll be hands down better than the Integy. If you're staying brushed I'd say to look at getting an HobbyWing 1080. Absolutely the best bang for the buck. I'm running one and a Traxxas 550 with ease on 2s and 3s. I've got a set of Bomber pull off beadlocks if you'd like to purchase them cheap.

Harley' said Wraith shorty next to a Bomber panel.
    Wraith and Bomber side panel templates.JPG

I can't stop seem to find the roof panel. But it's easy to trace. Here's the front electronics tray, though.
    Wraith under hood electronics tray - high res.JPG

rendnb likes this.
  16. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Yeah that's basically a plate I bought on Friday. Fit nicely for the most part but got it in there. Once I get a new cable for the ESC to the receiver, I'm going to move the receiver box to the front and keep the ESC in the back for now. I'm upgrading to a Holmes Hobby setup in the spring time.

Thanks for the designs tho on the body panels and plate! Now, just need a 3d printer lol

17. Brake Weight

Jul 25, 2016
    If you stay brushed just solder some extra wire on the motor. When you go HH ask him to add long enough leads to reach from the back of the motor to the tray.

I just got a couple sets of these out of the mailbox today so I can go brushless with what I have and move the ESC up front.
    IMG_8148.JPG

rendnb likes this.
  18. rendnb

rendnb Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Been a little bit since I updated this thread so figured I would post up some pics. Had a little time while there was still daylight out and took the Wraith out for a crawl. Everything is working out great! I need to re-tune the left rear shock as there's a little bind happening with it. Not a big deal, but I'll get it fixed up this afternoon.

I'll post up a video hopefully soon!