1/18 4WD Ruckus brushless build

Zombietoon85

A few years ago, I received a 1/18 4WD ruckus as a gift. I absolutely love it. Over time, I got a heat sink, a Traxxas Titan 380 motor, and some better batteries. However, a few years after getting it, the Traxxas motor burnt out and the diffs gears started breaking. After a year or two on the workbench, we got it running again, and things were going smoothly until the transmitter failed.
I had been considering going brushless for some time now, and I figured now would be a fantastic time to do so. I got new diffs, front and rear, (stock, but brand new), a new ESC, a new transmitter+receiver , and a GoolRC 7500 kv motor.
I did not realize that that motor was for high speed runs only.
My ruckus hit about 35 mph in a parking lot, and the motor seized up.
I got a new motor, (lower KV this time), and installed it. However, the ESC had issues and wouldn’t run properly with it, so we had to get a programmer for it.
Programmed, new diffs, new motor, new transmitter and receiver, new metal spur gear, new metal pinion gear, new ESC, and it runs like a dream. Probably 20-ish mph, handles fantastic, and still pretty capable, ESPECIALLY for a 1/18.

I am very happy with it.

Keep us posted on how the diffs and driveshafts hold up! What kv motor did you end up going with? Do you plan on shimming the diffs?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back