Amp motor options

36xx will work. 36mm is the outside diameter, 50 is the length of the can. So 3660 and others will also work, the longer motors are generally more powerful (more torque) and intended for heavier/larger vehicles. I have the 3650 3100KV and it's been really nice on 2s. It's not super fast, maybe 20% higher top speed than stock but much more acceleration.

I do wish I had a program card, because the braking force is excessive on mine. Locks the wheels on tarmac. I have the waterproof orange one which didn't come with a card in the combo.

Also, be careful not to get a 380 sized motor in a 540 can. You can recognize these because they have deep radial grooves in the body. These motors run hotter.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to hear. I've been looking at 3650 3900kv with programming card, it's a read model one and comes with the programming card (though it seems to be quite limited functionality looking at the pic of the card)

Or a 3650 3500kv orange one which has waterproof mentioned about a million times in the ad but no programming card. I know there are programming cards available but how does one know if it'll work with the model of esc?

Thanks for the reply, that's good to hear. I've been looking at 3650 3900kv with programming card, it's a read model one and comes with the programming card (though it seems to be quite limited functionality looking at the pic of the card)

Or a 3650 3500kv orange one which has waterproof mentioned about a million times in the ad but no programming card. I know there are programming cards available but how does one know if it'll work with the model of ESC?

Edit: Actually, looking at a lot of the programming cards for GoolRC stuff they seem to be quite limited in their function, only really setting the LVC, punch, max braking force and reverse throttle limit. I see other brands that allow you to setup drag brake, function modes (f/b/r, f/b etc), timing and stuff, has anyone got experience of the Gool RC programming, is it as limited as it seems and does it really matter?

Since I have a castle 3800kv sct setup in one amp.
And a 3100kv goolrc setup in my other amp I can give you a decent comparison.

The castle is as good as it gets, you can literally program everything, and the amount of tourque and speed output on this this is ridiculous.
BUT with castle you have to solder your own connections on the the ESC, not a huge deal breaker for some, for others soldering is a real pain. (I paid 150$ motor/esc new)

The goolrc, is rather limited on its programming functions as you have found out in your research, I have the program card, and no you can't do much. Basically what you found out is pretty accurate in terms of that. For tourque and power it's not bad, not anywhere near the castle, but it's good for the price. It also comes with presoldered connections.(I paid 40$ motor/esc new)

For a beginner just getting out of brushed I'd go with the goolrc, it's cheap, and has plenty of power to satisfy. (my amp does wheelies no problem with it).
The castle is for the more advanced driver. I'm pretty much the only person who drives my amp with the castle because if you gun the thing just backflips on its self instanstly.

Also another consideration is upgrades.
Both brushless setups you will require the ecx metal tranny gears.
But with the castle I also had to put in a steel slipper clutch, and aluminum driveshafts as both components were contanstatly failing under the power of the castle.
The goolrc I'm running with the metal tranny gears, and everything else is stock, running it pretty regularly for about 2 months now, no issues. Nothings failed.
I drive both trucks the same btw, slippers I'm the happy medium between loose/tight range.

To be honest the castle is awesome for sheer power and wanting to push around other fellow rc drivers lol, but most days I do have lots of fun with the goolrc as it's powerful but not overly powerful, as where on any sort of loose surface you need to be really good on your trigger finger to not always spin out.
So for saving 110$ roughly, the goolrc is pretty sweet for the price.
I'm in canada so I'm sure figures are different from US prices.

Well, I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered myself a goolrc combo and new radio gear!

Solid choice... how many kv is it ?
With the 3100kv I run a 25tooth pinion with the stock spur gear, motor doesn't even get warm.

Solid choice... how many kv is it ?
With the 3100kv I run a 25tooth pinion with the stock spur gear, motor doesn't even get warm.

Gone with a 3900kv, as the majority of the ebay listings available in the UK seemed to be that rating or higher.

And gone for flysky gt3c radio gear, now just got to wait for them both to arrive, apparently been dispatched already...

Nice.. since you went with the 3900kv you will have little higher rpm than the 3100kv. So I'd recommend starting wit a 23tooth pinion gear. That's just me, but it should be a nice balance between touque and speed. Also I hope you have the ecx metal tranny gears, with brushless you will eventually shred those crappy plastic tranny stock gears. Hell I wrecked mine on my stock 20t brushed motor way before I even went brushless.

Think I'll probably get myself a set of pinions, can get one for about £15 for 22t-26t which I'm hoping should get me something that runs nicely.

I've not got the metal transmission gears as yet, but will get them on order soon :)

For what it's worth, I've shredded the driveshafts but not the transmission. I run the stock pinion on 3100KV.

I'll be the Downer Don here. From personal experience I wouldn't recommend a brushless system or Lipos in the amp.
I've ran SkyRc 2650kv brushless system in my amp on 3s Lipos. It's way to over powered. Even with program card taking all power out of the motor. It will do back flips at any speed. Pull wheels like no other. It only being rear wheel drive. Puts All the power right to those tires. I've tried playing with suspension. Bigger tires. Played with gear ratios. None of which tamed the beast.
Next I swapped out the SkyRC system for on that came stock in my redcat blackout XTE Pro 3600kv brushless system on 2s Lipos. And still have the same exact issues.

Just my two cents. If your a fan of chasing your truck down to flip it back over. Or just want a wheelie machine. Then thro the power to it. Me personaly I'm putting a 19T brushed system back into my amp. Just to have drivability again.
Feel free to check out my build log. It shows every upgrade I've done. And issues with the added power.

As far as the FlySky GT3c. You will not be disappointed. I have this. And have all 3 of my RC's saved into its memory. Very nice system at a very great price.

Well...
Almost any RWD rc on a 3s lipo would be out of control... all the youtube videos I've seen about 3s is just guys doing wheelies and speed runs. A basher or typical "fun" driver would never have a practical use for 3s (in the 1/10 scale size). Perhaps on a 4x4 SCT which are more on the heavy side weighing around 5ish lbs and having a longer wheelbase would be a bit more controllable... maybe.
The AMP is built on a buggy frame, it's on the lighter side weighing only around 3ish lbs.
My MT with the castle setup has tons of power/touque and needs an expierenced driver. The thing even wheelies in grass.
But my gool rc setup on my DB is awesome for the occasional or casual driver. As it's got enough power to wheelie.. but only if it's on dry asphalt, but it's not over the top super fast.

I find the stock setup in the AMP is good for kids, but an adult will get bored with it quickly.
I did have an alright time with hpi firebolt 15t brushed motor though before going brushless.

Well...
Almost any RWD rc on a 3s LiPo would be out of control... all the youtube videos I've seen about 3s is just guys doing wheelies and speed runs. A basher or typical "fun" driver would never have a practical use for 3s (in the 1/10 scale size). Perhaps on a 4x4 SCT which are more on the heavy side weighing around 5ish lbs and having a longer wheelbase would be a bit more controllable... maybe.
The AMP is built on a buggy frame, it's on the lighter side weighing only around 3ish lbs.
My MT with the castle setup has tons of power/touque and needs an expierenced driver. The thing even wheelies in grass.
But my gool rc setup on my DB is awesome for the occasional or casual driver. As it's got enough power to wheelie.. but only if it's on dry asphalt, but it's not over the top super fast.

I find the stock setup in the AMP is good for kids, but an adult will get bored with it quickly.
I did have an alright time with hpi firebolt 15t brushed motor though before going brushless.
I have to agree 100% with this.
that's why my amp will go back to stockish. And leave the 3s Lipos to my 4WD trucks lol
My amp will Probly be a dust collector. N only used when my friends who don't know anything about rcs come over. Haha

I feel your comments about too much power. Even my 3100KV on 2s is too fierce on gravel. It has too much torque.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to gear it up significantly, and reduce the throttle endpoints. That should bring it back to stockish acceleration, possibly still with higher top end, but with brushless run times and noise.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to gear it up significantly, and reduce the throttle endpoints. That should bring it back to stockish acceleration, possibly still with higher top end, but with brushless run times and noise.

That's exactly my plan too, basically I want a bit more performance than stock but without the hassles of a motor that's overheating like the 15t I originally had installed or the 18t I have in there at present following the 15t burning out.

I race a Circuit that started life as an AMP. I have a 13.5t (roughly equivalent to 2800kv) sensored brushless motor installed (Hobbywing G2 3650 Justock) powered by a 2S lipo. I've changed the final gearing to 78/28 (using Associated 48p spur, drilled out to 5mm).

The Circuit will easily wheelie from a stop and punching it while rolling out of turns on a high-traction surface will also produce a wheelie. I have the slipper set about 1/2 to 3/4 "loose" since I'm also using a plastic pinion gear and I also want to tame the wheelies.

Honestly anything more than 3000kv on 2S LiPo is ridiculously overpowered.

If worst comes to the worst, I'll stick the brushless into an old b4 I have which might be fun and I'll just get some sort of brushed setup.

I might end up running on nimh too if the Lipo is too much...

Whoa whoa guys cmon... lets not be hasty here lol..
We can a bit of power can't we boys ?...
Save the brushed motors with the nimh Batts for the ladies lol

The amp it's self is amazing. It will take what ever motor you put into it. And deffinitly put the power to the wheels. In some cases a bit to much. I'm putting a brushed 19T 550 can in mine. That will allow me to run stock batteries and up to a 3s lipo. This system comes stock in the redcat volcano.

Last edited:
Just to update, my GoolRC 3900kv motor and ESC arrived at the end of last week as did my Flysky GT3C radio gear, so I set about installing both.

I've done an initial temporary setup as I need to sort out an extension lead for the ESC to receiver but on initial testing using stocking gearing an a 2s Lipo, the amp is great, definitely more powerful than the 18t motor I previously but, as I had hoped, it's not ridiculous! In the right circumstances it will wheelie but on the whole it's very drivable and a lot of fun. After a good running on the LiPo with stock gearing, on concrete, with the battery lasting about 45 minutes, the motor and ESC were both just a bit warm to the touch so I've got scope for gearing up a bit. My brother has a couple of pinions I can give a try to see how I get on.

Also, while out with my brother over the weekend, we discovered a brilliant (albeit slightly lumpy and bumpy) track that someone has created on a piece of waste land nearby and I have to say, the amp was so much fun to drive, the rear wheel drive making it tricky but so satisfying sliding round a corner and getting back on the power successfully! :). That said it did highlight the need for some different tyres at some point as grip was rather lacking!

Members online

No members online now.
Back