Bomb proofing the 4X4 Ruckus

How are the badlands coming along? Are they better than the stock tyres?
Yes. Much better. However... I was having issues with the differentials and just got frustrated with it. I ended up putting Tue big badlands on my Arrma Talon and am converting my Ruckus to a Torment. I feel like it will hold up better while still being fun.

I did, however, put the massie ProLine 3.8" Shockwaves (6" tire!!!) on my son's 2WD Ruckus and that seems to do much better. I had to put a steel spur on it though. And beef up the screws for the shocks and linkage in the front, but that was an easy fix. I also reused the 17mm adapters for it. It's a LOT of fun.

I have seem to have fixed the wheel nut falling off issue. Ecx aluminum hexes and axial serrated nylon lock nuts. Haven't had a set come off since using these two.

Also I have removed a lot of the front axle play with the ecx aluminum 4wd hubs. I will order some for the rear to see if it helps too. Hopefully I can get rid of the steering slop next, maybe by doing the ecx ruckus zip tie servo saver hack.

The brushless 4wd drivetrain seems to be pretty good and holds up to what I have thrown at it. The wheel nuts were the biggest issue.

Last edited:
The steering slop is really bad on my 4x4 brushless ruckus, locking the servo saver with zip tie migth help, but in my case all the plastic linkages have slop in them, but not sure how to solve this, I can't seem to find any upgrades to aluminium or better plastic replacements. If you have any luck with that then please let me know!

The steering slop is really bad on my 4x4 brushless ruckus, locking the servo saver with zip tie migth help, but in my case all the plastic linkages have slop in them, but not sure how to solve this, I can't seem to find any upgrades to aluminium or better plastic replacements. If you have any luck with that then please let me know!
The screws on all of the linkages were loose on mine, even going all the way back to the servo. Tightening helped. There is still some slop but it seems to track a lot better in reverse now. You also have to get rid of the in and out axle slop (pull your wheels in and out) there is a lot of play there too. Mine barely move now after the aluminum hub upgrade on all 4 corners, you can shim them out but you will need a lot of shims.

Renewing this thread with a bombproof 4wd Ruckus question...

Yesterday I replaced all of the plastic linkages with metal adjustable traxxas ones... seemed to help quite a bit. I installed the Hot Racing front steering knuckles as well. Ordered the 2wd version of the wheel hexes by accident, so will have to send those back and get the correct ones...

My main question for all of you on this thread is regarding the front drive shafts... I snapped one yesterday and would like to get something more bomb proof! The only ones I have found are the Hot Racing ones. Are their others available that fit, like for a Traxxas or Losi?

Renewing this thread with a bombproof 4wd Ruckus question...

Yesterday I replaced all of the plastic linkages with metal adjustable traxxas ones... seemed to help quite a bit. I installed the Hot Racing front steering knuckles as well. Ordered the 2wd version of the wheel hexes by accident, so will have to send those back and get the correct ones...

My main question for all of you on this thread is regarding the front drive shafts... I snapped one yesterday and would like to get something more bomb proof! The only ones I have found are the Hot Racing ones. Are their others available that fit, like for a Traxxas or Losi?
I think the stock ecx axles on the 4wd are pretty good. The only time one broke is when my son hit tire first into a tree. The only thing that broke was the front axle. Not sure how, but that was the only thing that broke. Replaced and still going months later.

You may want to double check the hot racing description. I don't see any hot racing axles for 4wd.

So I'm 1 month into my 4wd Torment... I bash it irresponsibly, but it sure is fun. Longest I've gone is probably 2 days without breakage.

Here's what's broken and replaced/upgraded:
  • RPM front/rear bumpers
  • RPM wheelie bar
  • RPM rear skid plate
  • ECX alum shocks (40w/30w)
  • ECX alum shock towers
  • ECX alum steering hubs (knuckles? spindles?)
  • ECX alum 12mm hex
  • 3rd set of body posts
  • 3 snapped front driveshafts
  • Control arm mount and inserts
  • Steering arm plate
  • Main driveshaft
  • Outdrives
  • Diff ring gear
I keep front driveshafts, spurs, slipper pads, a slipper assembly and a spare diff on hand.

I've torn the entire truck apart, packed the rear diff with thick grease, front diff with a light coat of grease, and I run my slipper about a 1/4 turn from fully tightened.
i used to get a lot of diff barking, ao I've learned to let the slipper do its job.

Running a Hobbywing WP-SC8 ESC
Tacon 3700kv (soon to be GoolRC 2650kv)
3s Lipo
2.8 Proline F-11 w/ Trenchers
Proline F-650 body (tmaxx/emaxx 2.5)
Power HD 1501 servo is en route from China

Overall she's such a fun truck. I do wish there were beefier front deiveshafts, but most of my parts break when I crash. I bash in my neighborhood, so trash cans, mailboxes, etc. are what kill my truck. Cartwheels and flips don't phase it!

20170117_144632.jpg
20170117_144647.jpg

Also, painted the new body. And ECX sent Circuit decals with the packaging. Ugh... but I'm happy with my paint job.

UPDATE: Horizon finally fixed it and even better they sent me a whole new (pre-painted) body. Nice!
I'll post pics of the custom painted one soon.

What's wrong with them, more than one year later and they still screw this up?
They've promised to send me the right ones... In August.

uAd66cW.jpg

Last edited:
Truck looks wicked. Yeah second that " are the badlands better and worth it?".
Ive had the same issue the wheel nuts but loctite works. Issue solved. Might buy some thicker nylock nuts to.
In urgent need of t bone racing front and rear bumpers but trying to get them in England is so much money.

I got my savox 15kg servo installed. Way better. I had to drill a bit out of the chassis to allow the horn to turn all the way And took out the brace that join top a arm and lower arm together. Great upgrade

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back