Ecx temper 1/18 steering

The Closer

Can anyone assist me?

Under load I feel like my steering isn’t working as it should or maybe it is?
When I take car off ground the steering works great in both directions.
On ground the wheels barely turn until I start giving it throttle.
When climbing up logs the wheels can’t really turn until giving throttle.

Is it just the spektrum Servo not strong enough? Battery? Battery was at about 80% full.
Could it be the wider stance with the 19mm extenders?
Or could it just be receiver radio and esc all needing higher quality and better electronics?

I did just get a new receiver and transmitter waiting for that to arrive.

The stock ESC/Rx unit only provides 5V. Couple that to a weak servo to that and you get really wimpy steering. The extenders might also be exacerbating the steering problem by creating extra leverage the servo has to overcome. I noticed that when driving my car in the rocks it would frequently get in a situation where it couldn't steer due to a tire being angled in a gap between rocks. So weak!

When I switched to a Spektrum Rx and Hobbywing's EXCELLENT 1080 brushed ESC, the performance was 100% better. The HW ESC provides 6V and that really woke up the servo. The servo itself was still a little wimpy but it was definitely much improved. Then I converted the car to four-wheel steering (4WS) and that was another great leap in performance. I just recently swapped out the stock servos for metal geared servos with 12KG of torque and steering is even better. Now the plastic spindle carriers/steering blocks are the weak link as they flex quite noticeably under the strength of the servos.

The stock ESC/Rx unit only provides 5V. Couple that to a weak servo to that and you get really wimpy steering. The extenders might also be exacerbating the steering problem by creating extra leverage the servo has to overcome. I noticed that when driving my car in the rocks it would frequently get in a situation where it couldn't steer due to a tire being angled in a gap between rocks. So weak!

When I switched to a Spektrum Rx and Hobbywing's EXCELLENT 1080 brushed ESC, the performance was 100% better. The HW ESC provides 6V and that really woke up the servo. The servo itself was still a little wimpy but it was definitely much improved. Then I converted the car to four-wheel steering (4WS) and that was another great leap in performance. I just recently swapped out the stock servos for metal geared servos with 12KG of torque and steering is even better. Now the plastic spindle carriers/steering blocks are the weak link as they flex quite noticeably under the strength of the servos.

Thanks
I figured it was probably that. While writing this post above I actually just ordered a savox 200 ounce (6kg) Servo that I read about in another post.
I ordered a new HW esc that either you or another user recommended and the flysky tx someone recommend as well. I’m thinking all these upgrade should help with a smaller added speed and better steering torque. I’m hoping the 4kg Servo doesn’t break any steering but I can always order those upgrades as well if needed.
Thanks for your response I figured it was a combination of the stock equipment but doesn’t hurt to get an opinion.
Can’t wait to get this thing into a real mini crawler

I also have heavier wheels then the stock and slightly bigger tires so that prob doesn’t help either. Thanks again for your input

I also have heavier wheels then the stock and slightly bigger tires so that prob doesn’t help either. Thanks again for your input
I have 19mm extenders and heavier than stock wheels as well. With the stock electronics, the wheels barely turns when the truck is not in motion. I got a generic brand metal geared servo from Amazon and now it's a 100 times better. Now I am using HW1080 ESC as well but even before that, changing the servo alone made a huge difference. After you get a new servo, you can shave off the little nub on the steering spindle to get more steering.

I have 19mm extenders and heavier than stock wheels as well. With the stock electronics, the wheels barely turns when the truck is not in motion. I got a generic brand metal geared servo from Amazon and now it's a 100 times better. Now I am using HW1080 ESC as well but even before that, changing the servo alone made a huge difference. After you get a new servo, you can shave off the little nub on the steering spindle to get more steering.
Nice.
I just got the same esc coming in tomorrow. And Savox Servo
Did you use the same motor?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back