ECX Temper rock crawler

What a blast this weekend has been! This rig is super fun! I spent most of the weekend trying to climb a cinder block in my garage - it won't do it stock due to size and torque twist. I did find the easiest workaround for the torque twist - slide the driver's rear spring all the way down until you can hitch it on the bottom of the shock body. I also picked up some new tires (Axial ripsaw or rippers). They're a tiny bit bigger in diameter (enough to restrict steering a little), and much grippier. On my brother's suggestion, I ran the stock ECX foams in them rather than the one's they came with(the axial foams are about the same size as the ECX tire)

The tires make a huge difference in climbing, and the smaller foams give me a little bit of tread squish just at rest, and more when climbing. A word of caution though - ECX bead locks seem to be somewhat proprietary - the head groove is not as deep as "typical" for 1.9 wheels, so aftermarket rims might be better. I was able to get them to work with careful tightening. The body will need to be trimmed. I plan on wrapping some solder around the rim inside to add weight to the front a little more. To combat the turning radius issue, I'm looking at either bent lower links, or hub extenders - I haven't decided yet. Some pics to follow up (need to get some with the new tires too), and hopefully some poorly made video too...

Last edited:
I'm so glad you enjoy your Temper. I was beginning to think I was I was crazy and putting this rig on a pedestal but regardless of its mass produced quality (still good though!), it still does its intended purpose: Climb rocks and make people smile without forcing you to sacrifice much to achieve it.

I think I finally got our rigs 4 wheel steering squared away. Now I can start working on what hopefully can become a Temper sticky and that's my steering mod write up. Just installed the last piece so I could get that servo mounted correctly. The steering was a little funky in the rear due to the odd geometry I had going on with the linkage and servo position. Now its great! Keep an eye out and check out my video if you haven't already at http://ecxforum.com/threads/13-days-with-the-temper-now-with-video.48/

Show off!

Really, I guess I can't fault ya for wanting to post it. ;):D

I have been having me some fun! I decided I wasn't happy with the weight distribution and suspension setup, as good as it is already (really, I just can't leave anything alone :D ). The bigger tires I put on limited my steering, so I was planning on buying some hub extenders, or maybe bending my front lower links a little. I opted instead to start my 4-link conversion, which solved a couple problems, and created a new one. I now have full range steering again.

I also have a better approach on the front side of the back tires. The cinder block I've been trying to climb I could make except for one thing - the way I mounted the ball-studs leaves the bottom (screw portion) hanging out the bottom of the center skid plate. I believe if I file those down, I'll be able to climb itimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Excuse the scratched arms from previous attempts at the cinder... The arms themselves don't hit anymore with the current mod - and it ROCKS!! The plan next is the get another servo plate, four more steering links, and I think two more ball studs. These will make my 4 upper links out of the existing "Y" links by combining one side each with a steering link and adding the ends. Ball studs will mount upside down to the servo plates on each side of center. I'll move the top link mount to inside the frame.

Oh yeah... I also want to "saddlebag" the battery (or batteries). And I might need to relocate the shock top mount. In other news, you can turn the whole motor/trans/mount around and it works fine - you just have to reverse it at the Tx. I also turned the battery/rx/esc plate around to put the battery in front for now - better weight distribution and the switch is easier for me to get to (stock body).

Why place the screws pointed down? This would only work to catch on items when crawling. Can you not place the screw heads on the bottom instead, maybe a button head screw so that it would be much smoother?

@WoodiE in this case they're ball-studs - there is no screw head. I didn't want the arms and balls hanging down to hang up either, and figured filing the last few threads off would be easier. I don't think there's enough weight and torque to pull them out.

@WoodiE in this case they're ball-studs - there is no screw head. I didn't want the arms and balls hanging down to hang up either, and figured filing the last few threads off would be easier. I don't think there's enough weight and torque to pull them out.
Yeah I think you are right. I was worried about the plate being too thin and might rip out. I just put some red threadlocker on them the help out. Then I put it on a bench grinder to rid the unwanted threads. Just had to go easy on it so it wouldn't overheat and melt the plastic. I was gonna go with the dremmel but I figure a little horsepower wouldn't hurt.
20151030_122958.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back