Hello...and Best Drop in brushed motor

TrackJunkie

Hey I am new to this forum. After being very into RC kit cars back in the early 90s I am trying to get back into it with my son. I was looking for a nice starter kit to do with him and settled on the AMP M/T. Settled on is a stretch because holy smokes I can't believe how RTRs have taken over...sad but that's a rant for a different thread.
Any way before we do the amp we are rebuilding my old Futaba FX10. It needs a new battery and motor so I figured I would steal the ones from the ECX kit and buy better ones to use when we get to the ECX. At this point I don't want to go all out with new ESC, LIPO, and metal gears and all that. I want to save some upgrade fun for later. I have read in here about 12 turns burning out the stock ESC if you run a whole battery through thick grass or something like that (which will happen).
So, what has anyone used that is a nice performance upgrade but safe for the stock electronics? I see there is a 15 turn version of the stock motor, but it has tons of terrible reviews on Horizon hobby. Plus, I would like ball bearings and maybe replaceable brushes.

Hey there! I'm new here too and also just bought a AMP MT. I got the kit version though so I'll have to build mine. The 15T Dynamite motor comes stock in the ECX Circuit vehicle and from what I've seen online, it's fine. It's a cheap way to get improvement in speed over the 20T Dynamite that comes with the AMP MT. As for ball bearings, the AMP MT comes stock with them but they're not as high quality as Fast Eddy bearings (can buy on eBay for around $15) so that's up to you if you want to upgrade the upgrade lol. On mine, I'm leaving the stock motor but will swapping the ESC out for a HobbyWing 1060 ($20), Futaba servo ($17), and Futaba receiver ($40) to pair with my Futaba transmitter.

Do you have a radio already that you use? If so, I would look to set up your own radio with it and also put a new ESC in. That might not seem like it will "upgrade" anything performance wise but from what I've seen and read, that will increase the performance especially when paired with a LIPO.

Sealed can motors aren't going to have what you are looking for they are for the most part disposable motors. The Reedy Radon 2 motors might be what you are looking for but you do have to remember that the sock esc is only like a 30a esc not really for running any hotter running motors than the stock 20t (although some do). Maybe 17t would be the lowest I would try to run.

Hi guys, just want to say that I have the older version of the Amp were the battery compartment is part of the rear suspension. I want to say the is one great truck to upgrade. The possibilities are endless. Check it out.

Attachments

• 20191231_154302.jpg
    20191231_154302.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to go with a reedy raydon 17t for now. Should make for some good races between it and the old fx10 and be plenty of power for the boy to learn with. Does ecx have any good 4wd BTR kits? I’m already thinking of what’s next..,

The 4wd ecx vehicles are not what you want. The 2wd ones are much more durable and there are more upgrades available. Their crawlers are good, especially the temper gen2, but as far as 4wd bashers/racers, they are not comparable to the 2wd in terms of durability. Not saying they are completely useless, they are better then some other manufacturers, but they just don't hold up to the abuse the 2wds can take.

Members online

No members online now.
Back