Is this a good ECX beginner car? If not, what should I get?

It depends on what your goals are. What type of terrain do you want to run on? What kind of driving do you want to do? How able are you to do your own repairs/ upgrades? Also, do you see yourself wanting an RC capable of some decent speed?

These questions will help us determine what a good platform will be for you. The Amp is quite capable right out of the box, especially so considering its cost. It's not uncommon for the Amp to be used as an entry level RC.

I'd like to drive it on both flat (concrete etc) and grassy/muddy flat terrain.
For driving, just for fun, not competitive.
I'd definitely love to have a decently fast RC car. But 15 to 20 mph would be good enough for me.
As for repairs and upgrades, probably none for now but possibly in the future (I've got no idea how to modify RC cars)

Overall, I would just love a car that's fun and has a decent speed.
Thanks so much for answering by the way!

The AMP would make a good entry level RC due to its low price and durability. It's good to go right out of the box. Even if you get the kit it's easy to put together with minimum time to do so. However, in my opinion after buying an AMP, doing the necessary upgrades (yes I said necessary although it is good out of the box, some minor upgrades are suggested like the servo saver eliminator, and aluminum knuckles), you will have close to $150-$160 in it. While that is still not bad, for that price you could look around and find a good used Traxxas Slash, which I would recommend over the AMP. Especially if your running in grass alot. The Slash will be faster and if you luck up you can find a brushless version.

Tell us your intended use and we can further help you. Now I love my AMP, especially now that I went brushless on it, it's faster than my Slash!! It's all up to you.

I'd definitely love to have a decently fast RC car. But 15 to 20 mph would be good enough for me.
As for repairs and upgrades, probably none for now but possibly in the future (I've got no idea how to modify RC cars)

Based on this, it might be worthwhile for you to buy the Amp kit. That way you can get your hands dirty learning the ins and outs of your new RC. The kit is something (almost) anyone can put together. Believe me, it pays to know how it all goes together as eventually you'll have to do repairs or upgrades. When you get to the point that you want to upgrade it we'll be here to help you out.

I'm a beginner at all of this too and I bought the Amp kit as my first RC. It was fun to put together and now I'm not scared to take it apart to fix something or to upgrade. Out of the box I clocked it at a hair over 15 MPH using an app on my phone. I'm really happy I got this as my first. This community has been a great resource as well.

You won't regret it! It's a very fun truck. I highly recommend the kit also because that adds to the fun getting to build it. Plus you will get to pick out your body color. That will introduce you into painting body's also. You can even pick up a spare body down the road for a different color if you want.

If you ever want more speed out of it, this truck is easily upgradeable to brushless. I found a really good brushless system that I put in mine and it's totally insane now!! Getting speeds of about 35mph. This motor and esc combo can be had for $39 shipped. But be minded that you will have to get another radio and rx also because the stock unit is a rx/esc all in 1. But overall this is a great upgrade to an already awesome truck

Latest posts

Members online

Back