Newbie transmitter and battery question

wifflebat

Hi all
I've just scored an Amp buggy project that I'm planning to build up. I dabbled in RC cars in the 90s in the days of the Tamiya Hornet and Monster Beetle and, although things are similar in some ways, in others they are not!

I have a couple of quick Qs if anyone could help me out (I'm in the UK by the way)...
1. I've had a quick look under the shell and see that all the electrics are there except for a battery - the connectors look different from what I'm used to - is this what they all look like now or is this an ECX thing?
2. My project didn't come with a transmitter but I have few of the old 27 MHz transmitters and crystals. Is there any way I can get these to work with this integrated ESC/receiver? I didn't see a port on it to receive a crystal but haven't removed it from the buggy chassis to get a proper look.

I had hoped that I could get this running cheaply but I'm starting to wonder now...!
Thanks in advance for any help!

Right I think I have an answer to #2... basically, no!
So will ANY 2.5GHz transmitter be able to 'bind' to the receiver?
Thanks,

Is it the blue EC3 connectors?

EC3 and EC5 are fine connectors. You can get them on Amazon cheap and fast. Make the move to LiPo batteries, they are far superior to NiMH. Double or triple the run time.

I don’t think so, but I think you can find one new or used. The new m radios are far superior to those old crystal sets. I started with an original Wild Willy so I’ve been there.

Thanks,
I'm not sure it's either sort of connector - I'll try to attach a pic of the connector.
I've read about the LiPo batteries. Don't I need a new esc and charger to run them?
I've just dug out my old Mtroniks APC200-MD/plus charger which I assume won't handle it.
I think I might have to keep things old school for a bit until I see if the bug returns!

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_164126.jpg
    IMG_20210213_164126.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks,
I'm not sure it's either sort of connector - I'll try to attach a pic of the connector.
I've read about the LiPo batteries. Don't I need a new esc and charger to run them?
I've just dug out my old Mtroniks APC200-MD/plus charger which I assume won't handle it.
I think I might have to keep things old school for a bit until I see if the bug returns!
Brushless motors and LiPo batteries are 5x better. You will need a proper LiPo balance charger but a basic one is not expensive. https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DYMC2030&ref=similarprodside

Younwont need a new ESC as long as you stick to a 2S LiPo amd you run a $5 voltage alarm on the balance port of the battery when you run the truck. Get a 5 pack for under $20. Yes you will need to lean a bit about LiPo batterie, but doubling your run time is so worth it.

I ran 2S LiPo for 5 months in my bone stock Amp MT all summer with no issues. It took the run time from 8 minutes to 35 Minute with almost linear power until it alarms. An Amazon 2S LiPo of 5,000 mAh or greater is ery inexpensive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back