pinion sizes with stock spur?

Biz73

What is the size range of pinion gears that can be run with the stock spur gear?

I looked at the hop ups they sell, and there is a 17-21t pinion set, so I'm guessing that's what will work.

I think a 16t is the smallest that will fit with the stock spur and motor, as an 18t is the smallest you can go with a 85t spur, but the mesh is a bit on the loose side. Also the size of the motor can plays into this as well, you can run 1 size smaller and larger pinions on a 540 sized motor than on a 550 sized motor.
With my Velineon 3500kv motor the smallest pinion I can run is an 18t because the can hits the trans.

This is a stock brushed Torment. This question was more out of curiosity than anything. We'll see how it goes now that I have switched to 7-cell Nimh's. If it starts getting hot, then I'll step down a tooth or 2. Thanks for the info.

Hey. Might be to late but i put a 16t pinion in my torment 4x4 and it alot faster. 12t is stock. I put the 9t in when proper hilly off roading. Ps dont use 16t for offroad use.

Remember, the bigger the pinion the more speed and the more heat introduced. Also, the bigger pinion the harder that plastic spur gear is going to work so I would recommend going to harden steel spur and pinion.
If you go to all hardened steel gearing, a brushless motor (4600KV), 3S Lipo battery, bigger tires (you may have to do a body lift), metal CV'S and good cooling (my vehicles have 3 to 4 fans, some 5volt some 12volt) you should be able to reach 65 plus mph, depending on your gearing and motor size (kv). Again, cooling is VERY important as you will create more heat. You can get rid of that heat with the proper fanning (high CFM's air flow). Use your imagination and remember, the small rc fans don't push a lot of air and they will only operate on 5volts. Using a small 12volt computer fan will push much more air and can use it own small 3S 11.1volt plane battery and a micro switch to turn it on (Radio Shack or Frys Electronics). All you have to do scope everything out and wire it up. It is is hobby after all and modifying and making better is what its all about. I have seen some great modified projects by young kid and adults that blows my mind.20180123_190817.jpg 20180123_190743.jpg 20180123_190619.jpg 20180110_171524.jpg 20180110_154802.jpg 2499.jpeg

Good info to have up here for those looking for it. Thanks for the post.

I don't need that much speed for my Torment. At some point I will get a 3500kv brushless system and run it on 7-cell nimh batteries, but that will be about it for me. I will grab a couple other pinion sizes when I do, so that I can play around with the gearing to get it right for my purposes.

I would like to see you run an experiment. *I have a fun proposition for you... I have a brand new in the original package:
AXIAL AX24003 20T 540 brushed motor. (I actually bought two of these, one for a spare and the other one is currently in my wifes Losi xxxt-mf with larger tires....I cannot kill the darned thing)
**I "Double Dog Dare You", to buy this motor from me and gear it for speed on 3s(or 7 cell)....I know this motor lives to tell more days on the light weight Losi xxxt-mf geared stupid with larger tires....
***$5.00, and You can be silly......(its either me selling it to you or me swapping the out the cheap 27t 540 on my WLTOYS A979-B 1/18 scale...for the 20turn motor and seeing what breaks.)

Last edited:
I had that motor in my Axial Warith, its a great motor for a Rock Crawler. I traded in my Crawler at my hobby shop and received $289 trade in for whatever I wanted. I'm not in to rock crawling, more into speed. My crawling was to slow for me even with a 2S 5000mAh battery. Your motor may well handle a 3S LiPo battery but your ESC may not. I would recommend a 60 amp ESC and go for it. If you don't smoke the motor, it's definitely going to get super hot and won't last to long. All my vehicles are all brushless and some have major cooling. One truck has 5 fans, which is pushing 38.0 CFM of air. (see pictures).

20180125_003238.jpg 20180123_190619.jpg 20180125_171835.jpg 20180125_002805.jpg 20180125_002755.jpg 20180125_184221.jpg

I've got other brushed motors here, so I have no need for it either. Throw it in that WLTOYS rig and have some fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back