Ruckus 2WD 1/10 upgrades

bulldogto

I recently purchased a 2WD ruckus 1/10 brushed for my son as he expressed interest in RC. I know absolutely nothing about RC. He's been driving it around the cul de sac and loves it. However, he'd like to drive it in the grass as well and it seems to bog down quite abit. Can someone give me some ideas of upgrades, in order of importance, that I should consider? Keep in mind, I'm pretty clueless on this.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

Your first and best mod should be a 2s Lipo battery. Atleast 5000mAh and 30C ratings. This will wake up the truck quite a bit and give you longer run times.

Grass is brutal on the motor and the electronics, so keep an eye on the temperatures. Especially when you run the lipo as X suggested.

Apart from the lipo, there is not much you can do with the stock motor and electronics. You can gear it down (get a pinion gear with fewer teeth) to make the motor run cooler and accelerate better, but the top speed will be reduced as well, which you will feel most of all on the tarmac.

If you want to spend some dough, you can make it stupid fast on both grass and tarmac with a brushless motor and a 3s capable ESC... If that turns out to be too much for your son (or your wallet because he hits things much faster now) you can run it off a 2s lipo and it will still be a solid performance upgrade.

As far as I know, the ruckus' tazer 15 WP ESC has no lipo-friendly low voltage cutoff, so yes it would be wise to get a low voltage alarm. You don't want to take risks with lipos, they are a serious fire hazard.

As far as I know, the ruckus' tazer 15 WP ESC has no LiPo-friendly low voltage cutoff, so yes it would be wise to get a low voltage alarm. You don't want to take risks with lipos, they are a serious fire hazard.
The Ruckus ESC does have a LiPo option, there is a pin that you swap out. Very easy to use. Though, I will say, we burned our motor out after two runs on a 5000mAh 20C Venom... So beware.

Horizon Hobby sells a 4000Kv and 3000Kv Kinexis Brushless kit for $75. Installed perfectly in my Ruckus and AMP Desert Buggy. Well worth it!!! Took about 20 minutes each. It comes with zip ties and double sided foam tape too!

Maybe a stronger steel steering servo for the grass? A heatsink or cooler for the motor? Both inexpensive upgrades. Follow the 2s lipo with stronger parts only as they need replacing. If your son drives like mine better grab a decent bumper as well.

As much as my son loves this truck, I may love it more.....quite addicting!! I like the idea of going to a brushless motor. What is the difference between the 4000Kv and 3000Kv?

As much as my son loves this truck, I may love it more.....quite addicting!! I like the idea of going to a brushless motor. What is the difference between the 4000Kv and 3000Kv?

Top speed and torque curve. The lower the kv, the more torque down low but less top end speed. And vice versa.

I put the 4000 on my amp desert buggy and the 3000 on my son's 2 wheel drive Ruckus. Weird thing, both of us were driving in grass and he tore up his CV joints. Somehow, my desert buggy with its 4000 motor has yet to tear up the CV joints.

I put the 4000 on my amp desert buggy and the 3000 on my son's 2 wheel drive Ruckus. Weird thing, both of us were driving in grass and he tore up his CV joints. Somehow, my desert buggy with its 4000 motor has yet to tear up the CV joints.

Higher torque will do that. ;)

The thing is, my AMP DB is much more violent than my son's Ruckus... I just imagined mine breaking first...

On a side note, HR CVDs DO NOT fit the Boom Racing rear hubs... I messed up one of my axles not realizing the fit is too tight until it was too late. Luckily, I ordered two sets.

Let's hope my AMP holds up til another set arrives... I had to ditch the Boom racing Huns for now. I wonder if HR rear hubs work?

Thanks for all the info. Now....recommend a charger and LiPo I should get.
I have Onyx charger for my NiMH and LiPo's. I use the Onyx 150 for LiPos. I bought it from Tower Hobby's S&D section. Charges my batteries on the 5A setting in about an hour or less.

For batteries, I use Venom. I had one pack over discharge and the LHS replaced it for free as part of Venom's warranty. And the changeable plugs are super convenient. Also, I run hard case except for my 3S.

Attachments

• IMAG1297.jpg
    IMAG1297.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1298.jpg
    IMAG1298.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 9
Just the brush less upgrade will amaze you. I would suggest that first and LiPo next. After your son gets used to the added speed of brush less. It is quite an upgrade. The did the Tazer 4000kv combo pack and it was direct fit.

Members online

Back