Ruckus speed help

Jsumrall

I’ve got a 2wd 1/10 ruckus that was originally a brushed motor. I switched out to a castle 3800 motor/esc combo, and am using a 2s Lipo, and the top speed I can clock is 32mph. I’ve done the metal trans/differential gears, and a new spur gear due to messing the old one up. But it’s all still the stock teeth count and size of gears. Does 32 seem about right?

Yes. That sounds right.

What I would recommend, get an infrared thermometer for situations as yours. Anytime you change something in the way power is delivered to the tires, your sweet spot (temp) is going to change. The Ruckus is probably undergeared for being a brushed motor, and ECX wanting motor to last somewhat of a long time. Having a thermometer to measure temps on your RC is a great way to see if your electronics are "healthy". An infrared thermometer should be in everyone's toolbox.

Check motor temps every couple of minutes. If it goes above 180°F, then you need to gear down. My temp "sweet spot" for my motors is 160°F. That gives me a bit of wiggle room. During the middle of the summer I may push the limits of my motors a bit more, but you don't want to go over 180°F. At about 200°F, that is when things can start to go bad with a brushless motor.

In my 4x2 Ruckus I run a SCT/3800 combo with 85/19 gearing on 2S and a slightly shorter tire. The truck screams and I rarely break 150 degrees. Have you checked your slipper?

I’ve checked and tried a few different levels of tightness on the slipper and found what seems to be best. And I do need to buy a thermometer, I’ll for sure do that before I start changing gears. Also, I just checked and the stock gears in it are 87/18. Which I think seems pretty mild/conservative, right?

I just checked and the stock gears in it are 87/18. Which I think seems pretty mild/conservative, right?

Quite. I feel my 85/19 combo (4.47:1), which is fairly close in ratio to 87/18 (4.83:1), with the SCT/3800 is on the conservative side but I’m content with my speed and it will stay together longer. If I only drove it on the street or straight on jumps I’d run more aggressive gearing but my combo seems more versatile (read: controllable) in more scenarios and conditions. Dirt jumps, bmx track, skate park, parking lots or fields. Remember, higher speeds = higher speed crashes.

Last edited:
I’m really not concerned with making it faster, I just didn’t know if it should be faster than that, meaning something was wrong. So long as it seems about right, I’m happy with staying kind of on the more conservative side. Hopefully a few less breaks that way. I actually just stripped out a wheel hex about 10 minutes ago lol.

So the best test would be fully charge battery
Initialize esc and arm
Then go full throttle

I’m really not concerned with making it faster, I just didn’t know if it should be faster than that, meaning something was wrong. So long as it seems about right, I’m happy with staying kind of on the more conservative side. Hopefully a few less breaks that way. I actually just stripped out a wheel hex about 10 minutes ago lol.

To me it seems like you should be able to stay conservative AND squeeze another 4-5 mph out of your setup but if you’re happy with it leave it be because that’s all that really matters. Like you said, less breaks. Not sure what settings you used when you configured your esc but when the time comes that you want more speed (and it will - LOL!) there may be some additional power to be found in your esc config.

Good luck and happy bashing!

Members online

Back