Steering servo! Not sure what went wrong, plz help

BabyDyke415

I added some things to my amp. A reaktor motor esc 50A and a helion controller and that has been great... today I added a savox servo and it was working great for a little bit but now it won't turn.. what did I break?20170808_191526.jpg

Can you get some pictures closer up of the servo, servo saver area? It's possible something in the servo saver loosened to the point that is doesn't function.

What you are pointing at is the servo saver. On the underside of that is a screw holding on the second half/ spring. If it is loose, or lost, it will not turn your wheels.

Take off the plate over the servo/ servo saver area and take a peak at everything. Post pictures if you can.

Take a look Here. That is the exploded view for the Amp. You can see how it all goes together.

Video.. not sure.. doesn't look like this one will upload. Anyway it seems to be whatever that piece is that I am pointin to in the one pic... what is it? Is that the servo saver?

What you are pointing at is the servo saver. On the underside of that is a screw holding on the second half/ spring. If it is loose, or lost, it will not turn your wheels.

Take off the plate over the servo/ servo saver area and take a peak at everything. Post pictures if you can.
I will do that, I will post pics as I do.. I will start soon. I appreciate all the help you can give!

If you disconnect the arm connecting the servo to the servo saver and move that arm manually, can you move the front wheels?

I don't see anything loose, maybe something is binding.

If you disconnect the arm connecting the servo to the servo saver and move that arm manually, can you move the front wheels?

I don't see anything loose, maybe something is binding.
I will have to put the front end back on and see.. nothing seems bound up and everything is in its place so I'm not sure what to do... the servo turns with it unhooked from the saver though

I think I may havery figured it out... I think it's a space issue and the arm is hutting/rubbing the servo! Another question though, before when it stopped working the servo was a bit hot... is that normal? Should the cooling fan for the esc be slowing down everytime I turn the wheel? Because it does.. and if it us a space issue.... what the heck do I do now?!20170809_205615.jpg

I think I may havery figured it out... I think it's a space issue and the arm is hutting/rubbing the servo! Another question though, before when it stopped working the servo was a bit hot... is that normal? Should the cooling fan for the ESC be slowing down everytime I turn the wheel? Because it does.. and if it us a space issue.... what the heck do I do now?!View attachment 2390

The servo shouldn't be heating up and the ESC should not have the fan stop. Too much power is being drawn, whether that is because of binding in your setup or because the servo draws to much power.

If you unhook the servo from the servo saver and turn the servo a bunch of times, does it heat up? Does the ESC fan stop? If not, then I still lean towards there being an issue with your servo saver/ linkage setup.

It looked like the servo is too big and binding on the steering linkage to me. We melted a servo when we zip tied the servo saver clip. The zip tie was rubbing on the frame and caused the servo to burn up. It should move freely without any binding. You can check it when fully assembled. Just disconnect the ball joint on the servo arm and move it manually. Then look and see if anything is binding between the servi horn and linkage. I also had to big of a servo horn for a little bit and it got bound against the frame as well.

Yeah, it was binding in the servo saver area, my servo burnt out so I got it replaced and hookEd it all back up and filed where I needed to so nothing is rubing... almost everything is great now but it still gets hot and that's not good! Would a bec or whatever fix the heating up issue?

Yeah, it was binding in the servo saver area, my servo burnt out so I got it replaced and hookEd it all back up and filed where I needed to so nothing is rubing... almost everything is great now but it still gets hot and that's not good! Would a bec or whatever fix the heating up issue?
I'm not sure, I haven't had need for one. I'm surprised the servo is heating up though. The front end of the amp is light and that servo should not be overworked by it. Something may still be binding in the steering system, or the travel of the servo horn may be hitting the sides of the frame. That can be adjusted on the channel 1 end point adjustment on your radio. When I upgraded to a metal servo horn, it was hitting the sides of the frame and would get stuck after a hard landing. I went back to the stock plastic one. I run the servo saver eliminater and the plastic horn gives it a place to break that's cheap to fix instead of replacing servos with busted gears. I've had the same plastic horn in mine through almost 4 months of racing. It's held up fine.

Having that large of a servo you should be able to run an RPM servo eliminator setup without fear ignoring stripping gears.

Does this ESC have adjustable voltage output to the the servo? That Savox should be able to handle whatever thrown at it, but it doesn't need it if using a servo saver. It just needs to overpower the spring a little bit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back