Stripped spur gear...

Bigpoppa99

Well already stripped a spur gear. I set everything up like the manual says. How can I prevent stripping a spur gear or should I get a metal spur?

There are a few variables such as motor, ESC settings, gear ratio, and mesh. Turning down punch, easing up on rough driving, tightening the mesh a little will all help. Also, adjusting the slipper too.

Yea this was on my son's truck and his first truck to jump with. As far as slipper, how should I adjust it? Think I should loosen or tighten? And how much of a turn?

Should I just get another plastic spur gear?

Yes, I would stick with plastic spurs. All of my cars are brushless and the only plastic part in their drivetrain is the spur and slipper and have never had a problem with either. I don't do the paper thing, I set the mesh by wiggling the spur back and forth. Just enough so that it click/clicks as you move it back and forth. Too tight and you'll burn the motor, too loose and you chew the gears up. And landing on the throttle you could damage gears even with perfect mesh.

As for the slipper. You can adjust it by listening to it when you floor the throttle on a high grip surface it will scream for a second and then take off. Or, put the car on a bench and hold the back two tires. Hit the gas hard for a second and it should raise the front end like 45°. Too loose and it didn't lift, too tight and you just got smacked in the face.

Like when you said take off on a hard surface, should it scream then take off? Is that what I'm wanting or should it not scream at all?

I would say there is no correct way for anything and everyone will have a different answer. But I have done both, I usually do the bench test way because I'm inside with it taken apart already and it works.

Like when you said take off on a hard surface, should it scream then take off? Is that what I'm wanting or should it not scream at all?

This is tricky to explain. But it will whine and then launch. You don't want it to sit there smoking the clutch obviously so not very long, like a second or so and it should be fully gripping.

I don't have too many issues with my 2WD vehicles, but I had a hell of a time with my 4WD Ruckus either stripping or melting the spur. Eventually swapped it to a Hot Racing Steel gear. Loud, but perfect.

I stripped my stock plastic spur on my ruckus with a 1/8 motor. I replaced it and meshed the gears to my liking. Same spur since the . No plastic shreds. Took a bit to get it perfect. If I can get the plastic to hold up to wheelies on pavement repeatedly, its strong enough for me. I would rather have a cheap plastic spur as the weak link over an axle or anything else more expensive.

Got my new spur gear today. Didn't realize this during the build but I see the slipper pads are stuck to the spur gear. I was able to peel the pads off and they seemed to still be pretty sticky and stuck to the new gear fine.

But was I suppose to get new pads as well? Or is what I done what I was suppose to do?

Got my new spur gear today. Didn't realize this during the build but I see the slipper pads are stuck to the spur gear. I was able to peel the pads off and they seemed to still be pretty sticky and stuck to the new gear fine.

But was I suppose to get new pads as well? Or is what I done what I was suppose to do?
I did this with my AMP and it's been 100% since. And I probably left half of the sticky behind...

Ok, I may have found out why the spur gear stripped. I noticed that the mesh is quite a bit looser than I remember locking it down at. I did use blue loctite, but I used the stock motor bolts which is a Phillips (I hate phillips!!!!) and I probably didn't get enough torque down on them. I found some spare M4 (I think) bolts in my parts bin that has a Allen head on it. I was able to use blue loctite again and really crank those bolts down. I think I will go to hardware store today and get a set for my motor on my AMP (those were my last two).

Question about the slipper clutch adjustment. I understand some damage can occur if it's set too tight, but can anything get screwed up if running it too loose? I I'm still not sure exactly how tight/loose to set it

Question about the slipper clutch adjustment. I understand some damage can occur if it's set too tight, but can anything get screwed up if running it too loose? I I'm still not sure exactly how tight/loose to set it

If you have the slipper too loose it will damage the pads and eventually (if not immediately) immobilize your RC.

On my crawlers I tighten them down until the spring is completely compressed and back it off 3/4-1 round. On my Losi Minis I will spin the spur using my thumb and hold the nut with a driver until I can barely move it any more. Although they're 1/18 scale, this should technique should work with these. If the motor is outrunning the wheels, slipping, tighten it up then. Don't wait to melt anything.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back