What Brushless Motor for 2wd Ruckus and Circuit

mshell56118

Good Morning all,
I have been trying to figure this out and cannot. I am looking at buying a brushless setup for both my 1/10 2wd ruckus (sons truck) and 1/10 2wd Circuit (mine). I am looking to give the ruckus equal or slightly better performance than the 15 turn motor that he smoked. For the circuit same thing equal or a little more performance. I cannot make heads or tells of the kv factor. I am not looking at spending alot on the setup as these are just go out and play in the yard or at camping vehicles. Also i see anywhere from 30-80 amp esc listed with identical motors, should i get the highest amperage esc?

@mshell56118 - In general Kv is the number of RPM's per 1v applied. A brushless motor with a high Kv would offer higher top speed but less torque. While a lower Kv motor would offer less top speed but more torque.

First a warning: KV on the sticker is not the only thing that determines how fast your RC will go. Motors with the same KV can be very different in power even though they should spin equally fast when lightly loaded. And manufacturers can lie on the sticker. That said, here are some quick numbers for reference.

I have a GoolRC 3100KV and on stock gearing that is just slightly faster (top speed) than the 20t in my amp. So probably a 3500KV is around stock speed for your ruckus. However, most brushless motors have quite a bit more torque so the car will much snappier on the stock gearing, or you can gear it up so that its acceleration is comparable but it has higher top end.

If you get two motors with different KV but otherwise very similar specs (e.g. max current draw), you could make them perform similarly by adjusting the gearing so it compensates the KV difference. So if you want a beast of a motor, don't go for the most ridiculously high KV rating. Instead, get a motor with a longer can and a higher current rating.

ESC current rating is quite important, a higher rated ESC should run cooler for the same load. There should be no downsides from getting a more powerful ESC (just don't get the Dynamite DYNS2210 unit).

Maybe some of the more experienced folks here can comment. I have limited experience from my own 2 RCs and a couple of friends', so I'm partly basing myself on what I read online.

If you are looking for a direct suggestion I would say a kinexsis 3000kv for the ruckus but you will have to go up on the gearing a few teeth on the pinion of you are running a lipo battery (specifically a 2s or 2cell) be careful with 3 cells if you do get one. It's also around 70 bucks on amazon and cheap in stores.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back