wheel hex / bearing advice for new owner of 3wd.

Grunter

Hi all, was hoping that my first owner post would be a positive one but it is not to be.
I bought a used 1/10 from ebay and its not in as 'good condition' as it was described.. I should have known better.
I have not had chance to use it yet, preliminary checks have highlighted problems that need sorting before I ruin my first RC experience in more years than I care to remember.
First very obvious observation is that the wheels seemed to be very loose, play while rocking top to bottom was about 1/2" and you could pull them in and out the carrier about 1/4"
removing the hexes reveals them to be quite chewed up, I was about to order some cheap alloy ones, but they appear to have a raised lip on the pin side and my current ones have remnants of a lip but nothing like the replacements I have seen. should they have or is it just that the lip has been chewed off? are there any that I should be thinking of rather than the £4 sets on ebay?
I am also going to need wheel bearings, is there a generic kit for these or again, are there upgrades worth shooting for from the get go.
Apologies in advance for the pestering that will ensue until I get back up to speed with the rc world.
WP_20180421_20_58_16_Pro.jpg

They need the raised lip, that raised lip runs on the inner race of the bearing
Bearings are cheap, just look up the size. 5x10x4mm with rubber seals if you have the 2WD not sure of the 3WD lol

Thanks, I can go ahead and order the hexes i was looking at.
Looking at part list the 4wd bearings are 10x15x4 inner and 6x12x4 outer. Just need to search for some uk stock now, failing that I will checkout the local commercial bearing supplier.
I'm still a bit annoyed at the seller listing this car as "refurbished".

Mistakes have been made...

The hexes arrived today but they do not fit the driveshafts/stub axle.
The hexes are 12mm with 4mm through hole and 5mm hole bearing side with a flat shoulder.
The shafts are 4mm threaded section with 6mm pin area that has a tapered shoulder to the threaded section.

Are these the standard driveshafts on the 1/10 4x4? if they are then what upgrade hexes are available in UK to fit?
After seeing what happens to the plastic ones I am reluctant to fit the same again.

Mistakes have been made...

The hexes arrived today but they do not fit the driveshafts/stub axle.
The hexes are 12mm with 4mm through hole and 5mm hole bearing side with a flat shoulder.
The shafts are 4mm threaded section with 6mm pin area that has a tapered shoulder to the threaded section.

Are these the standard driveshafts on the 1/10 4x4? if they are then what upgrade hexes are available in UK to fit?
After seeing what happens to the plastic ones I am reluctant to fit the same again.
Just get some Traxxas slash 12mm they fit well. I think they can eliminate the weird little spacer between the rim and the wheel nut too because they are wider than stock. Make sure you don’t tighten them really tight and make sure they are free of debris or they will snap the drive pin. It’s been a while since I did much with that car because I have 7 running cars and it’s still spring so it’s too wet and annoying to run them around right now.

Calipers are your friend and when it comes to upgrading anything, you can use other brands products.
If you did not get a manual, download one from online and use the part numbers to cross over to what you need . Also use Horizon Hobby
www.horizonhobby.com

4x4 ECX Torment manual;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0TQj6yW7IJkTaSwZdbC6So

website to get parts also to either buy from them, or other websites.

It is too bad when peeps buy RCs from online. You need to message ALL sellers to verify everything. I have found too, that even if they do not have make an offer setup, you can still shoot them a price over messages.
I have purchased on eBay and have been burned, but also bought some sweet deals. Do not be turned away by used.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back