380 Motor for Temper?

You will also need larger motor mount screws the stock motor screws are a smaller diameter.
So my son has the temper and I just received the kulak with black Jeep body off eBay for $90 free shipping. The electronics might be a little better it has a separate receiver now I can swap it out for a micro spectrum and use my futaba 3pk radio.

So my son has the temper and I just received the kulak with black Jeep body off eBay for $90 free shipping. The electronics might be a little better it has a separate receiver now I can swap it out for a micro spectrum and use my futaba 3pk radio.
Another thing I put 20mm wheel wideners them things with spit out the dog bones super fast to resolve this you need to upgrade to aluminum hubs. I went with hot racing you can use the stock screws. Honestly the axel tubes should be shortened so the dog bones stay in the axel under full turn.

Yeah, I was starting to wonder. I just checked again to make sure and it does say on ECX's site that the motor is a 380 size. Obviously not. Brandyn, you said earlier you were looking at the Dromida 370. Did you go with something different that's a 380? What do you think?

The "Stock" motor on the Temper is a 260 motor (The Chinese version uses the RedCat 260) https://redcatracing.toys/?product=redcat-racing-68050-motor-rc260-w-gear14t.

I just put a Redcat Racing RC 370 Version 2 Motor in mine and it fit with some drilling on the plate. It's definitely and noticeably faster than the stock motor. The question is will it last. RedCat motors don't have a great history of lasting.
I'd like to get the Barrage motor and try it.

That motor is to fast for a crawler anyhow even with a 69t spur im going to try the redcat 390 its 70 turns
Hey Brandyn;
I noticed from your posted pics that it looks like you either turned the Transmission 90 degrees on it's side or you rotated the Mounting plate for the motor or something?
How did you get that big motor in there?

Yeah I'm still running the RedCat 370 in mine. It's been working great. I've got a set of those Gmade metal rims on mine with some Pro-Line Interco TSL SX Super Swamper tires and that thing will crawl up and over just about everything that my SCX10 will.

Any of you with 370 motor having issues of ESC shutting off randomly? My Temper stopped responding twice in a row yesterday. The ESC light was still on but no throttle/steering control. If I turn off the car and back on again immediately and it will run fine for a while. Motor and ESC aren't too hot (I can put comfortably put my fingers on them). I was using the stock battery.

No. I have not had this experience. As a matter of fact it's run quite well.
I've broken more in the drive train but not the electronics.

No. I have not had this experience. As a matter of fact it's run quite well.
I've broken more in the drive train but not the electronics.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I will have to investigate it a little more. I was wondering if the esc was overloaded or something like that but it sounds like that wasn't the case.

My switch on my ESC has gone flaky and sometimes it cuts out but the light goes off as well and I have to rock the switch back and forth (it might say waterproof but the switch is not Georgia Clay/Mud proof!).

I had the latrax 370. You will gain a lot more speed but if you have the stock esc, you won't have much control at low speed. It's way too fast even at the minimum speed. I went from that motor to the 370 from a barrage. The barrage one is slightly better but still not very controllable at low speed. Now I am using a hobbywing 1080 esc. It can go as slow as a snail if I wish. I personally think if you are gonna change the motor, a better esc is a must down the road.

I had the latrax 370. You will gain a lot more speed but if you have the stock esc, you won't have much control at low speed. It's way too fast even at the minimum speed. I went from that motor to the 370 from a barrage. The barrage one is slightly better but still not very controllable at low speed. Now I am using a hobbywing 1080 esc. It can go as slow as a snail if I wish. I personally think if you are gonna change the motor, a better esc is a must down the road.
So if I get the new esc from hobbywing I will be able to access settings to help with slower speed when I need it using the traxxas motor I have?

So if I get the new esc from hobbywing I will be able to access settings to help with slower speed when I need it using the traxxas motor I have?

I’m looking at hobby wing and I see different amp eating kike 120a 60a 80a etc
What do you think would be best one to go with?

While the hobby wing esc comes with a programming card for you to adjust settings it's not necessarily the settings that give you better control. You just get much more granular throttle control on the better esc. For example, the stock esc gives you 10 steps between no throttle and full throttle while the hobby wing one gives you 30. That's probably not how it exactly works but that gives you an idea of what to expect. BTW, you also need to change to the radio. That contributes to the difference too I suppose. I am no expert on RC but this upgrade made a night and day difference for me.

I’m looking at hobby wing and I see different amp eating kike 120a 60a 80a etc
What do you think would be best one to go with?
I got the 80a one because it comes with a programming card/box. If you don't care about that, the 60a will be good as well. I suggest you do some more research though as I don't really know that much lol. I can only tell you what worked for me

While the hobby wing esc comes with a programming card for you to adjust settings it's not necessarily the settings that give you better control. You just get much more granular throttle control on the better esc. For example, the stock esc gives you 10 steps between no throttle and full throttle while the hobby wing one gives you 30. That's probably not how it exactly works but that gives you an idea of what to expect. BTW, you also need to change to the radio. That contributes to the difference too I suppose. I am no expert on RC but this upgrade made a night and day difference for me.
Change radio control or the receiver ? Or both.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back