Amp motor options

Do you guys suggest metal transmission gears when going brushless?

BTW, I ordered the GoolRc 3500kv combo. I'm going to try stock gearing first and check temps. I still plan to run 2s lipo. I'm not looking for rediculous amounts of speed, but faster than stock would be good. I'm just ready for smoother running, better braking characteristics and longer run times.

Me and my 12yr old students have 6 Amps and have various upgrades. I think the simple Firebolt choice is good BUT; 1--I suggest you consider the AMP MT kit to build = your son may love watching or hopefully at least helping if not taking over the build. I teach kids Engineering thru building RC cars and have built well over 100 various 1/10 cars & trucks over 20 years. The AMP kit is the best ever! Easier than most and you get a great truck. You can add Fast Eddy bearings and the first upgrade I recommend is a Hi torque metal gear servo for about $35 = either Savox, HiTec or Futaba. It's gotta turn if you're going to give it more power. Firebolt is good & simple but the beauty of brushless is your batteries also last longer!

I use the FlySky FS-GT3B <--here for $35 as it has end points and model memory so I can set the same car as different models and set the throttle endpoint at 100, 85, 70, and 55% then quickly change it for newbies, kids or special conditions without anyone really noticing. The GT3C might be good too. I've had many lower end FlySky for years and NEVER had one problem! Even with mostly kids using mine and owning them themselves. Only have one GT3B and so far so good = fingers crossed.

The GOOL systems look enticing but as said above I find no ratings so it looks to be guinea pig city--but some of us should try them as see how they hold up!

When I order replacement parts i order two cuz it may break again and RPM makes strong, proven replacements including a better steering system (called servo saver eliminator--for the AMP) Another thing to do is check that your AMPs turn equally in each
direction there was a significant flaw that may be corrected and articles online on how to fix it. The RPM steering system mentioned needs some tweaking/filing/dremel to fit too.

Have fun and please keep us posted--so many run away and get their new gear and have so much fun they forget about us poor little peeps that tried to help!! :)

PS; Me thinks the AMP MT kit is WAY under rated--not so much under rated but under exposed/marketed. It's exactly like the AMP truck RTR in price & components = battery, radio & wall charger but you build it!! - Fun like the good old days! Great support from Horizon with good instructions and building videos (they just have the last bag first so you must scroll down to Bag A. It is simplified a bit by having the shocks and diff built already.

Last edited:
Well, I have the GoolRC brushless system on the way, so I will test it out. My metal tranny gears is also sitting in my mailbox as we speak. Not sure where you have been looking, but I have read nothing but good about the GoolRc systems. Hey, for $39.99 it's worth a shot to me.

I will keep yall posted on my thoughts and outcome on this system

""Not sure where you have been looking, but I have read nothing but good about the GoolRc systems. Hey, for $39.99 it's worth a shot to me.""

Please tell us about the "good" = links?? I've been looking at Amazon & eBay with the links provided in this thread--nothing bad but no ratings at all that I've found.

Thanks for any links and updates on your cool Gool!! :)

Oh lawd I have looked numerous places. Your right not all was positive per say, but no negative comments other than a loud fan. All this stuff is made in China anyway, I think alot are just clones of one another

""made in China anyway, I think alot are just clones of one another"" Ya, That's what I've been thinking. I'm glad there are some good things said even if there are no reviews yet--I guess no reviews are good news cuz if they were junk peeps would be low staring.

And as you say for $40 it's worth a shot to be a guinea pig--Someone had to go out on limbs to test the first hobby King stuff--still do--more power to em.

It looks good -- May the Force be with ye--Be sure to keep us posted!!

Yea I'm a firm believer that these top brands (Traxxas, HPI, etc.) are just overpriced Chinese stickers. I fly model airplanes also and trust any HobbyKing Turnigy lipo in the air just as much as I do my Gens Ace packs. Same for these AMP trucks, my lipos I mainly have Venom brand, but my Zippy performs, balances, and discharges just as good or better than the others. Just like Castle Creations, from what I read, designed in the USA, manufactured in China. I have cheapo off brand china brushless motors on a couple of my planes, been some of the best motors I have ever owned. My radio I use? RadioLink. I use this radio for my AMP, my Slash, my crawler as well as my brushless boat, darn good radio. Made in where? China!! A nice quality radio I only paid $50 shipped for and came with a receiver.

So yea, I will go out on a limb any day for this cheaper stuff. It's all the same bud

Got my metal tranny gears in today and got them put in. Nice upgrade for sure. Now just awaiting my brushless setup to get here and we'll test it out.

20170225_210313_zpsdkqjcmrg.jpg

Fresh Lucas Red-n-Tacky grease!
20170225_212430_zpsbnnrxfnb.jpg

20170225_213800_zpsllptzkgc.jpg
20170225_214505_zpsf2apqau2.jpg

Cool!, Did it come with the tacky Lucas grease on or did you put it on? Did it come with any grease on it? 2--Is the Lucas Tacky safe for plastic over time? 3--Do you have Fast Eddy bearings?

I'm actually still on my stock bearings. People are under-rating those as well, my stock bearings have held up good. I can put my truck on the stand and give the front wheels a spin and they will free spin forever lol. The gears did not come with any grease, you must put your own. I recommend Lucas Red-n-Tacky. I use it in all 3 of our crawlers and they have plastic housings, they have been fine for 2+ years. Im sure some marine grease or any general purpose grease will work ok too, I just like the tackiness of the red n tacky. Strangely enough, the large output gear did come with new bearings already installed, so I did just leave those on, but the other bearings in the gearbox is still stock and they felt perfectly fine when I checked them. Fast Eddy bearings are fine, not a bad price, but I think their shipping is a little bit much, so it's best to order a large qty while your ordering. I usually turn to Avid rc bearings if I'm buying inside the U.S., they are the same price, same quality, and I get them in like 2 days.

Speaking of bearings, that's another over rated product. Most of my bearings I buy in bulk qty on ebay, from......you guessed it, China! I get 10 of those 5x11x4 bearings for about $3.95 shipped. But if you buy a bigger qty like 50 or 100, you get a even better deal, but you will be set on bearings for a long time. I think you can get 50 for like $17.95 shipped. Quality not as good you say? I beg to differ. I used to put them in my nitro buggy and race it on the weekends, couldn't tell a difference in quality or longevity of use.

Last edited:
I have had multiple bearing failures (seized up) but that's because I did not take care of them at all. I ran my truck on the beach, forgot to rinse it and then let it sit for months. I think even the cheapest bearing you can buy will spin freely as long as you can keep sand (and salt) out of them. But sometimes replacing it when it does break is just less hassle, lol.

Lol. Yea now I will add that I have not ran mine through mud or water or sand, other than hosing it off a couple times but I usually take my air compressor to it right after to blow most of the water off before storing it away.

Do you guys suggest metal transmission gears when going brushless?
BTW, I ordered the GoolRc 3500kv combo. I'm going to try stock gearing first and check temps. I still plan to run 2s LiPo.

In short: If you stay with a 2S battery, your plastic gears will probably do just fine.

I race my Circuit (started life as an AMP) running a Hobbywing 3650 G2 13.5T (approx 2800kv) motor with the stock plastic gears. SET YOUR SLIPPER CORRECTLY. I also use a plastic pinion from 175RC.com. Nothing tests a car like racing does so time will tell how long the plastic gears last. But I pay careful attention to the slipper setting!

That said, if you ever DO ruin the stock plastic gears, may as well install the metal gear set. If I wind up destroying the plastic transmission in my Circuit, I will probably just go with plastic gears again (in the interests of science) to see how log they last. Also, the 2WD ECX cars like Circuit, AMP, and Boost are all SO heavy in the back I'm not too keen on installing even MORE weight.

I race my Circuit (started life as an AMP) Exactly what is the difference between the Amp & Circuit? It's hard to tell from Horizon. Are they the same truck except the Circuit has; 1--Lipo & charger 2--better esc = separate from Rx, water proof and higher power 3--13.5 turn motor? Is that all?

I finally found a bunch of GoolRC Reviews BUT they are low stars with lots of low end problems = this --> HERE and at the bottom of the same page.
They're attractive cuz they're cheap but I gotta remind myself 'you get what you pay for!! Ask me how I know.

I was up for getting one but now I'm dubious--If anyone tries one please keep us informed!

Finally got to my birthday and pay day and i have a bit of money so I'm contemplating the move to brushless...

Aftera lot of thought, I think I'd rather pay a bit extra and have the peace of mind of buying from Hobbyking and getting something where i have some comeback if it doesn't work and which I know I can get a working programming card for, so I've been looking at the Turnigy combos.
Beaing in mind that I want something which is an upgrade from the stock 20t motor and will give ma quicker truck but not be a ridiculous back-flipping beast...or at least be tameable with a bit of work with the programming card and whatever new radio gear I get, what are peoples thoughts on this combo?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3520kv-80a.html

The GoolRC system has been working great for me. Zero issues so far. They make program cards for it too if that's what concerns you

I've got 2 amps.
1 - MT running with castle sct setup, crazy fast.. a little overkill.
2 - Threw in a 50$ goolrc setup for fun... not as crazy as the castle but lots of power for what you pay.. an excellent beginner brushless setup.

Hmmm, maybe I will go for the GoolRC option. Should I go for the red versions that in the pictures have the word waterproof on the box but no mention in the description, or the orange which do have waterproof plastered everywhere but sadly don't come with the programming card included??? Also, what size do I need for the amp, 3650 is correct isn't it?

Latest posts

Members online

Back