Amp vs boost buggies

sc302

Looking to pickup a buggie for my 8 yo. Figure might as well keep it ecx being that we already have a torment and ruckus. What would you pick and why?

To an 8 year old, they are so similar it may not matter....stock. The boost I think has a better ESC, different wheels and tires and a separate receiver. The amp comes with a receiver/ ESC combo, so if you ever want to upgrade the TX/RX or the motor/ ESC you would need to do both the RX and ESC. It probably boils down to which you like aesthetically more.

For me....Boost!

I have a boost and love it. I'd like to point your attention to the new Circuit w/LiPo for one main reason (and this is also a reason to choose the Amp): the included radio allows you to reduce the throttle rate. Controlling the top speed of an R/C can be a godsend for a new kid driving. That said, if your 8yo already drives, this is a non-issue. The other reason I might recommend the Amp is it shares more parts with the circuit, and therefore the Ruckus and Torment, which opens you up to at least a few aftermarket parts, which are woefully missing for the Boost.

The AMP DB (Desert Buggy) is a better option for just running around. It has larger diameter, knobbier tires and is thus better able to handle rough terrain. The Boost, with its shorter suspension arms, smaller tires and lower CG is aimed pretty squarely at tracks. I have a Boost and love it, but my intent was to hit the tracks ASAP. I also have an AMP and that is my go-to for bashin' around the yard/driveway/beach/etc.

As for aftermarket parts... with respect to @RonimusPrime the Boost isn't really left wanting all that much for aftermarket parts worth having. And the Boost, Circuit, and AMP cars all share 90% of their parts.

Bottom line, If you think he might like to really race? Boost. Just bash around? AMP DB. And in either case, you can run ANYTHING in the Novice class at the races.

Hot Racing makes nice aluminum front spindle and rear axle carriers, caster blocks, and a servo saver steering bellcrank assembly. There are, of course, RPM's similar offerings which are also nice, but I think the HR front spindle carriers are a much better solution, being metal. HR also makes some nice-looking steel spur gears. Boom Racing (asiatees.com) also provides similar parts in alternate colors. ECX/Horizon Hobby also provide Al parts as above with the addition of an Al front shock tower (which I very strongly recommend against for a buggy. Okay for the Circuit or other truck, but not for a buggy- too exposed).

With a little measuring and the help of a cooperative LHS (plus forums like this one) you can find many more aftermarket parts that will fit. I run Traxxas Big Bore shocks with Losi orange springs on my Boost and love that setup. RPM rod ends and AE turnbuckles have replaced all the stock camber and steering links. I also run Traxxas wide wheel hexes and Schumacher Stagger Cut and Mini Pin wheels and tires for racing.

Additionally, RPM's suspension arms for the Circuit will fit the Boost and... turn it in to a Circuit! Or an AMP DB. ;)

Looks like there's a great deal more than I though, which is awesome!

Additionally, RPM's suspension arms for the Circuit will fit the Boost and... turn it in to a Circuit! Or an AMP DB. ;)

But this is not true. The circuit chassis is both wider and longer than the boost.

Latest posts

Members online

Back