Boost getting a makeover

Thanks for the info rob5059. On another note: what have you done for the Boost shocks? I'm interested in improving the performance of the suspension-- specifically the rebound damping (or lack thereof). Back when I had a Tamiya Fox, it employed little flexible plastic "leaves" that provided for a separate compression and rebound damping rates. Due to the tight fit of the piston between the e-clips on the stock ECX piston shaft, I can't even do that so I'd like to replace the piston shafts with something with more room. What did you wind up using? You mentioned a Traxxas shaft for the rear. Was it a match for the length of the stock ECX shaft? Did you find anything for the front?

I have not done anything with the shocks right now. I cannot find a Traxxas or AE shaft 41mm long for the front. Traxxas 2765T works for the rear shocks, it is 51mm like the stock shaft.

I might look at putting Traxxas GTR shocks with the valve kit. The GTR shocks are a lot bigger than the stock shocks, and I am not sure how they would fit.

rob509, thanks for the tip. I managed to find a pair of of the 2765 shafts. One thing that drives me crazy is the lack of ANY kind of dimensional information on parts. The shafts were simply labeled "2765" and were the "XL" model. The XL referring to the length. I had to do a quick side-by-side comparison to confirm the length.

As for your idea of using a different shock-- RPM states that their pistons "are not for use on Traxxas GTR shocks." (Same for Associated and Losi "big bore" shocks.)

So I'm going to order some RPM pistons and install them in the rear-- due to the typical buggy rear weight bias I think this is where the pistons will do the most good. Please share if you DO find a replacement shaft for the front ECX shock shafts.

On my Slash, I was running the ultra shocks with the RPM Pistons, and I switched to GTR with the Traxxas valve kit. It handled a lot nicer in the jumps.

When I get a little time, I will pull the shocks off the Slash and see how the fit on the Boost. They are a little longer so I will need to add some internal limiters.

Do you think it will screw with the handling by running dual stage Pistons in the back, and not in the front? I am still searching for the 41mm shafts, but like you said most of the do not list the specs. This is when you need a good LHS!!!

Agreed about the LHS-- I've been hitting all the nearby shops and they're already used to me and my vernier caliper!

As for handling: the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. My plan is to start with 35wt oil with one of the light/medium piston sets at the rear and 20-25wt in the front (down from 30wt). With 30wt I feel that the front shocks are far too sluggish on the rebound-- I can see the car's front wheels bouncing over the terrain. It's not ideal, to be sure, but the current state slow rebound damping is annoying. I've been trying to figure out how I can make my own reed-type or wafer valves but the ECX shafts leave absolutely NO ROOM between the piston and the E-clips. My old Tamiya Fox featured wafer valves in its shocks and they worked fairly well. I don't know why that design hasn't seen more widespread use.

Well, I gave the Boost a little love this weekend and than beat the hell out of it. Picked up some Pro-Line split six short course rims and trencher tires to give the boost some more clearance, and installed a set of Traxxas alum shock caps with Dlux-Fab big bore ends. The extra clearance makes it a lot more fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Members online