Extreme Newbie with an over asked question and honestly no clue.

Jeremy Kelley

Just picked up a AMP MT and fell in love with this sport. I want more power though. I have been researching motors and ESC's but I'm still not getting it. So what all would need to be changed from stock to run:
GoolRC S3650 3900KV Brushless Motor S-60A ESC with 6.0kg Metal Gear Servo Upgrade Brushless Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car Truck
Or will this even work? I am open to suggestions.

would this battery work with the above motor/ESC

PowerHobby 3S 11.1V 5200mAh 50C Lipo Battery 2 Pack w Traxxas Plugs 3-Cell (2) Fits Slash 4x4 4WD 2WD Stampede Rustler E-Revo E-Maxx Spartan M41 X-Maxx Brushless VXL

would this battery work with the above motor/ESC

PowerHobby 3S 11.1V 5200mAh 50C LiPo Battery 2 Pack w Traxxas Plugs 3-Cell (2) Fits Slash 4x4 4WD 2WD Stampede Rustler E-Revo E-Maxx Spartan M41 X-Maxx Brushless VXL
I just installed the gool 4300kv with esc, and it does pretty good, you'll need a receiver and transmitter (controller). Check flysky gt3c. There is also a receiver 13003 that will allow you to use your stock controller. Keep an eye on your temps while running.

Thanks guys! I have been wanting to get into this for some time but never pulled the trigger. I have a wish list of mods but I don't have the slightest clue what works with what or if it would be too much.
Definitely doing:
Ecx metal gear set
Steel spur and pinion gear (not sure what gearing yet)
Aluminum shocks front and rear
And a brushless motor and ESC.-no clue on what brand or size.
2s 5200 battery.
Steel axles

Then I'll work on steering

I don't want too much power nor do I want to have to worry about temps. This is my way of keeping busy during my divorce. Any help on gearing and motor setup is greatly appreciated

Alright guys. Am I even remotely close with any of this?

Attachments

• IMG_0419.PNG
    IMG_0419.PNG
    209.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0420.PNG
    IMG_0420.PNG
    182.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0421.PNG
    IMG_0421.PNG
    209.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0422.PNG
    IMG_0422.PNG
    195.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0423.PNG
    IMG_0423.PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 13
That 46t Robinson spur gear is TOO SMALL. Do not buy it. The Hot Racing model is fine. Stick with 87t, if you go with a small spur you will be gearing up the car and be going even faster. Any of the batteries are fine, but I'd recommend keeping to 4000-5000mAh capacity. In my car I easily get 45 mins run time HOWEVER the motor approaches 150F after about 10 mins of running (race pace). So then I have to stop and let the motor cool. The 6000+ mAh capacity batteries cost almost twice as much but won't give you twice the run time.

I'd recommend getting that Kinexis motor ESC combo. Plenty of speed and power. Also I don't believe that ECX receiver will work with the transmitter you have picked out. Check to see if the transmitter comes with a receiver- I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Finally, the charger: That Tenergy model is for charging AIRSOFT batteries. Those things have capacities of about 1000mAh, about a quarter (or smaller!) of a typical RC car LiPo pack. I can't recommend Hitec chargers enough. Well made, great support, good prices and features. If you really want to spend a minimum, I'd recommend the Hitec X1 Nano. It's only $5.00 more than that Tenergy charger and it provides current selection which the Tenergy model DOES NOT. The Tenergy charger will take quite a bit longer to charge your batteries than the X1 Nano: if you set the X1 Nano's current switch to 4A while charging a 4000mAh battery, you can fully charge it in about an hour (typically a little less- 45 mins or so) and the Tenergy ould charge at no more than 1A which would be at least 3 hours (and likely longer!)

Not necessarily. However, the ESC/receiver combo unit that ships with the AMP does not have a low-voltage alarm or cut-off. So if you switch to a LiPo battery, you'll need to connect its balance lead to a low-voltage alarm (anywhere from $5-$15 depending on brand and where you buy). But getting a new radio system is a good upgrade as the system that ships with the AMP is really basic. A nicer radio will provide additional tuning options such as end point or travel adjustment, exponential adjustment, sub-trim and so on.

Wow! I didn't realize how safisticated the cars could become! Is there a justifiably better transmitter out there? I honestly just researched what other people had done and started that shopping list.

Absolutely. I started with a Spektrum DX2E: It's a pretty basic Tx providing trims and dualrate, plus a rather fiddly end-point adjustment. Then I stepped up to a Spektrum DX4C transmitter. It can store settings for 30 different models (I use it to control my TLE 22 3.0, ECX Circuit, and ECX Temper), easily configures end point adjustment, exponential, sub-trim (handy for centering servos), dualrate, and channel mixing (I use steer mix to get crab and four-wheel steering on my Temper)... plus a few other things I can't remember! The radio gear in the AMP is fine for beginners and kids (especially with its dualrate control on the throttle) but I found it really limited after using the DX4C.

I know there are quite a few people here that use the FlySky stuff, but I have no experience with that. It's certainly inexpensive. I suggest that you shop around and compare more than just price: what features do you get for your money? Service?

Spektrum is a HorizonHobby brand and they offer some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. Search around here and you'll find others with the same opinion. If the FlySky stuff craps out on you... who you gonna call? ;)

Anyway, the DX4C radio was $99 and comes with a 4-channel receiver (throttle, steering and the two extra can be used to power accessories like lights, motor/esc fans, transponders, additional servos, etc).

HOLYCOW!!!! so i just put everything i could find that you suggested in a cart at Horizon and those i couldn't find in a cart on Amazon.. GRAND TOTAL FOR EVERYTHING>>>> $433.24. But i think i will have a very capable rig at the end. Im looking forward to it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge

You're not supposed to add up the cost of every mod you make to your car. This is a hobby and you can't put a price on the fun.

One piece of advice: Spend your money on good stuff that you can transfer to a new (and possibly better) car. When I got my Boost and wanted to upgrade the electronics, I purchased good stuff (Reedy motor, Hobbywing ESC, solid metal-geared servo, etc). When I got a TLR 22 3.0, all that good stuff went into the new car and the Boost was reverted back to it's (nearly) original state, save for chassis improvements like shocks and adjustable links. Plan ahead, too: I knew that I'd only get more cards over time so I bought a radio that could control many cars. My Spektrum DX4C can store up to 30 profiles; I don't need to buy another transmitter, just receivers.

I recommend you go in stages instead of everything at once. That's what I did and I think I learned more that way.

Last edited:
LOL..... The price of it all had no effect on me... Ive still got the bug and honestly got a larger thirst for knowledge. My Nephew (11yrs old) has a stock AMP MT that he bought about a month before i got mine (6 days ago). So almost everything i do he will help install and i have replacement parts for his along with a few upgrades here and there. So, with that said, here is what i got today.....

savox - waterproof digital 13/1 metal steering servo
ECX - Metal gear set
RPM - Servo-Saver eliminator Bellcrank
ECX - 1096 aluminum Rear shocks
ECX - 1095 Aluminum Front shocks
Venom - 4200 NIMH battery - (this was just so i could have a little fun with the above upgrades before getting into the good stuff)

So my Nephew and i installed everything except the gear set tonight while we attempted to charge the new 4200 battery which will be his in a couple weeks. The result from the what was installed is phenomenal. Steering is A WHOLE LOT tighter and precise (Thank you beej). I had my front shocks too stiff and my rears WAY too soft but we were having too much fun comparing steering differences to make any adjustments before my new battery went dead.

I have a hobby shop (Hobby Town USA) about 6 miles from my work that will price match HORIZON. I now have long term plans on getting a TRAXXAS Stampede VXL at some point (saw one in the store have yet to look into ECX comparisons).

Stampede has been around for a long time. It's a cool truck but it's very top heavy relative to the track width, so it tends to spend a lot of time on its back while you walk over there to flip it over again. On the other hand there's a reason it's been around for so long, it's just a fun thing. I bought the Amp because it was cheaper and had a better reliability reputation. The first point kind of doesn't matter though, the price of the original truck is only a fraction of what you'll eventually be spending, as you seem to have found out :D

VXL electronics seem to be generally good. Couple of guys I know at a local club here put it in everything. Kind of expensive though.

Wow...If you are going to spend over 400 for upgrades why not just get a Losi XXX or the other nitro powered truggy unit they have both are like 350 at horizon. I have a torment for my son that I did many of the upgrades you are talking about. 4300kv gool rc with 60A ESC using stock electronics. it works fine. I geared my pinion down because we run on a lot of grass and that heats it up. I think i am running a 17T with the stock being 19T. Metal trans gears hot racing drive shaft...and bell crank eliminator kit. This thing is pretty heavy. Much heavier than the stock Losi XXX-SCT I have. I have broke more parts on the torment to write a book (axles, bumpers, sterring knuckles losing the screws, motors etc etc). The stock tires on the torment suck and need replaced (next mod) The Losi I have had for 2-3 months and just finally broke a drive shaft in a freak rock hit. The stock XXX is much faster, easier to control and imo better built for what I do, and i can still upgrade it.
ECX makes good products that we enjoy but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on upgrades when you could buy a complete truck RTR for the same or cheaper that will beat it out of the box stock.
**I would stick with 2S lipo batteries with that Goolrc ESC/motor combo...I have heard the 3S will burn the ESC up rather quickly as it is not a high grade motor/ESC.

Why get a nitro powered car? Why not stick with electric?

Sweating over the amount of cash spent on a hobby is a losing proposition. If that's a legit concern, then you should be taking up gardening or something. How much do you spend on nitro fuel for that Losi? :)

i am sticking with all electric guys. I am building the AMP up with my Nephew, but i am starting to look for a car with a lot better set up from start. Trust me im not sweating over the cost of this hobby, and im not going nitro, they are way to loud and time consuming. Plus im a diesel mechanic and i dont want to come home and work on another fuel powered thing for fun. So, with that cleared up, the terrain on my property is mostly sand and gravel and i am going to have a major traction problem when i go brushless. What tires have yall found to work well?

Members online

Back