13 Days (and counting) with the ECX Temper. Now with video!

r8derhed5150

I've been working some crazy hours lately and still cannot keep my hands of this truck. In the two weeks since buying the it, I've taken some meat off of the tire inserts to compensate for the tires hardness. Helped a lot. 2000mah 2s pack gives us over 2 hours runtime. Also we're sporting a second servo for some 4 wheel steering action. Just added a new body this morning for a birthday rig update. My son turned 5 today. S hot some metallic silver and stuck in the graphics that came included with the shell. He loves this truck as much as I do. Lit up like the fourth of July when he woke up to it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/50s-panel-truck-body--clear:-mini-t-par10098

I just have a couple of things left that I'd like to do like finish my 4 wheel steering the right way. I'll explain later when I try my hand at a how to do 4ws on here for the folks who might want to try it some day. It hasn't been as smooth as some tutorials have suggested, but since have found a couple different work around depending on the scenario which Im excited to cover in something I'm hoping will be my first "sticky" ever. Also would like to see what this thing can really do with a quality set of crawler tires. Anyway, here is our Temper Tantrum today...
20151017_125836-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!
@r8derhed5150, what did you have to do in order to have rear steering? Other than another servo, like purchase steering assembly for rear?
Thanks in advance.

The size is real nice. I pack the truck, a bag of goodies and tools, TX and another bag with the wheels in my back pack with my 15 inch laptop, tablet, chargers for everything and it's still has room for a couple large bottles of Gatorade and lunch.
20151022_222514.jpg 20151022_222151.jpg I

Day 19

Stopped by LHS on the lunch to window shop. Had to get something. Walked out with a piece of .030 (I think, tossed the wrapper:() for $2.75 and made some skid plates to get rid of those horrid "bumpers".

I pulled off the stock bumper and layed it flat to trace on paper. Scanned it so I could play around with it in mspaint. I settled on classy and simple to compliment the body. Plus it I was able to knock it out in about 20 minutes with highly satisfying results. So far...
20151023_224148.jpg
20151023_223908.jpg
20151023_223614.jpg
As far as function, I think they are durable enough and will deflect okay. Its not a heavy truck so we'll see. I'll chime back in with my results tomorrow. Me and my son take it everywhere with us on the weekends. Never know where you might find a nice juicy rock pile to crush.:eek::mad:o_O:oops::p

Last edited:
Day 20

Haven't made it to the rocks yet. Spent most of the day at a Children's Discovery Museum. But not before making his first visit to a LHS with an indoor clay track on a race day. I wanted to go browse the shop and he wouldn't let us leave the sideline.

But I did mount a lipo monitor like I've been wanting to. I took an old plastic micro SD card adapter storage case, ripped the door off and zip tied it to the battery tray lip in the rear. Used some velcro pieces I had laying around so I could display it in the back window.
20151025_012021.jpg
20151025_012212.jpg
I'm sure I'll eventually end up trimming it down and painting it.

Also learned something new about these tires today. I've never seen or touched a set of real crawler tires until today. I squeezed these Proline Flat Irons and OMG. I must get some real tires now.
These stock tires are okay. I liked them at first, but now I've been teased. This little truck would be just rediculous with some good tire upgrades. So Ive begun my search for the right tire/wheel combo. Weighted wheels for sure. Only reason I didn't buy at the LHS today was the tires were just too darn tall. Stock is 96mm. Smallest they had were 120mm. I don't want to dwarf the body but more importantly I want to retain the torque. It's think it's perfect.

Last edited:
Ooo, I want to try that! I've been trying to figure out which bent lowers would work on the Temper. Do you think the camber changed at all from moving the anchor point in?

Also, I'm banging my head on what tire size to try. Im hesitant to go bigger than 100mm to avoid torque loss. Im leaning toward staying stock 96mm but thinking heavier wheels will make the center of gravity low enough so it wont tip as easy being taller. I'd like to hear what tire OD those are and do you feel there was any change in torque? Wheels weighted? If so how heavy are the rims if available. I'm excited to put some popular treads on it.

Very impressive by the way that you are scaling a friggin cinder block with this little truck! I can't wait to follow suit. I'm drooling for some real tires.

The Axial "Ripsaw" tires I got are labeled as 1.9 size - they measure about 105 mm - 109mm in height. I took the Axial foams out and put in the stock ECX foams (still round, uncut). Rims are stock (I advise aftermarket 1.9 rims - stock will work but are somewhat proprietary at the bead). I feel that torque is about the same, at least until the battery gets low. No weight added yet, but I plan to wrap some solid core solder around the rim inside the tire, at least in the front.

The Axial "Ripsaw" tires I got are labeled as 1.9 size - they measure about 105 mm - 109mm in height. I took the Axial foams out and put in the stock ECX foams (still round, uncut). Rims are stock (I advise aftermarket 1.9 rims - stock will work but are somewhat proprietary at the bead). I feel that torque is about the same, at least until the battery gets low. No weight added yet, but I plan to wrap some solid core solder around the rim inside the tire, at least in the front.

Lol, my previous post was supposed to be on your thread. Not sure how it ended up here. I think I will make my tire choice today so I can hopefully get them before the weekend. The prolink 'Flat Irons' look nice but smallest is 120mm. Maybe something in Pit Bulls if they have my desired size. I'm also considering wideners unless I can find some decent negative offset wheels. I remember reading a while back someone widen the stance on the Temper and was very satisfied with the results.

@Juanmarteen What are your thoughts on using another set of lower lowers as uppers? Imagine connecting between the battery plate screw and the current upper ball and anchoring to the servo mounting plate. It's got some good meat to drill a couple balls into it. Thinking about trying it since I have the rear mount.

I'm considering a change to that upper Y because I finally got a casualty yesterday and it was the ball being ripped out of the joint. Now I'm not sure if it was because of the way I was picking it up by the rear axle and trying to hold it right side up might have stressed that point a little much. I suspect that because I just don't see it having enough torque to do this, but who knows. Just going to try some high strength 263 threadlocker and see if it will hold.

Last edited:
I considered using lowers as uppers, but I feel like they would be too long - keep in mind the lowers reach all the way back to the center of the rig, and the uppers are much shorter. The servo plate will be the axle end for the uppers as you described. I have seen a couple mentions on the 'net of the single ball at the axle end of the upper "Y" popping out due to use/wear. Mine has been ok so far (which means it will probably pop tonight)... Waiting on word from the budget keeper about when I can order my extra parts :eek:

I considered using lowers as uppers, but I feel like they would be too long - keep in mind the lowers reach all the way back to the center of the rig, and the uppers are much shorter. The servo plate will be the axle end for the uppers as you described. I have seen a couple mentions on the 'net of the single ball at the axle end of the upper "Y" popping out due to use/wear. Mine has been ok so far (which means it will probably pop tonight)... Waiting on word from the budget keeper about when I can order my extra parts :eek:

I think I'm going to order some lowers to try this out. Combine it with your lower relocation and thus thing will be rediculous.
upper link-1-1.jpg
Did a quick cut in photoshop to drag it up and see if it might work. Looks promising!

Last edited:
Ahhh, now. I see what you meant. I was stuck on my idea for the servo plate mount. Hopefully the frame doesn't interfere with articulation. I like it.

Ahhh, now. I see what you meant. I was stuck on my idea for the servo plate mount. Hopefully the frame doesn't interfere with articulation. I like it.

I put some more thought into it. This particular configuration might hinder the steering since the link would protrude off the side of the chassis more than the lower and the stock tires already graze. I think this might work pretty good if I move the axle point to somewhere near the current upper mount like underneath the servo mount. As far as the chassis mount, move it to somewhere on the inside. Then I might be able to route it between the shocks in similar fashion to the current 'Y' link. If combined with your lower method, it would make them opposing V's and a real 4 point link. Now I really can't wait to try this. I hope my LHS has some lowers and some ball joints. I know they have a few ECX parts. We'll see...

Latest posts

Members online

Back