13 Days (and counting) with the ECX Temper. Now with video!

Been the way busy with the holidays, work, sick, all that fun stuff. Finally got back to the Temper Tantrum. Got some new wheels and tires. I have been contemplating this upgrade for a while now it seems and after spending some time at the Rock Wall, I finally gave up on the stocks. My LHS had some Axial Falken Wildpeak M/T. They are about 119mm tall and fairly narrow at 48mm. The wheels are Proline Denali 8 spoke and they have some decent weighted beadlock rings and uses 32 screws per wheel making for a nice heavy wheel. Time to finally play again. Feels like its been forever.
IMG_20151129_113906.jpg
IMG_20151129_120408.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm not bad it has potential. What scale is the body?
Its a 1/10 but for monster trucks so the body is narrow and shorter compared to real scale. Surprisingly, the wheelbase matches the temper so why not? I'm gonna have to do another one because it was just too darn cold to paint and it didn't come out so good:(

Just a prototype mount. Someone else mounted this body the same way but used an unbent angle bar. I didn't want my tires to impact so I bent mine up for clearance and mounted it on small standoffs. Without all that you loose much of your articulation. U

The reason for all this is because the footprint of the chassis is quite tiny in comparison to this body and trying to mount it on its own area would probably stress out the body. Plus you would have to run the front post through the windshield.

I'm going to have to "massage" the wheel wells a little due to my slightly shortened wheelbase as a result of my suspension mod.

I'm hoping the weight of the new wheels will help keep it upright. It is getting a little top heavy with this substantially bigger body and the metal I threw UP there. We'll see how it goes in a couple of days after this incoming storm passes.
IMG_20151203_023723.jpg IMG_20151203_014651.jpg

Oh yeah, the body is for a Traxxas Stampede. Apparently there are several bodies for the stampede, or similar wheel base to it. Found an old list from 2006 on the traxxas forum that has a good 20 plus bodies. All the links are dead so who knows what's still being made.

Which reminds me, I think there is a Blazer body this size as well at Horizon. Looks like I'm ordering that one today too!

IMG_20151207_001547.jpg
Dual exhaust. Just in the back end. They terminate into my body rails. It came out okay. Aluminum is just too stiff to be bending more than 45 degrees, just wants to crush even while using a tube bender.

Will it mount using stock parts?
So sorry for missing your question. I had to make my own mounts. I used some half inch angle bar and some parma body posts. Four screws at the corners of the battery tray. I've since taken out this spacers you see there between the rails and the tray because they were not necessary. IMG_20151203_015424.jpg

Are you happy with performance with the new tires? Or are you already contemplating changes? Haha

Is there enough power to push them? What about the steering?

So I was pretty weary of going big like this. Mostly for loss of torque, and next the steering. Even with all of the weight I have added (I should weigh it) it still pulls okay. If i did not do this body mod, I'd be okay with leaving the gearing alone but I need just a little more torque than this. I feel like I'm getting stuck in places it used to be able to pop up out of. So to fix it, I found a losi pinion set that goes all the way down to 9T (stock is 14T I believe).

Also, the extra height and weight I put up top really made this thing act scale. At first i wasn't happy with how top heavy it became and roll over is pretty easy if you are impatient. After about 15 minutes of crawling, I realize that i was having way more fun with it now. Its like not entering the cheat code anymore. Its a real challenge now but its not like its so top heavy the wind will blow it over. Its enough to make it feel more realistic.

As far as steering goes, I only get tire impact on my upper links on at full lock and shock compressed just short of all the way. The tire will drag in this case but it hasn't stopped me. However i wouldn't reccomend going over about a 100mm tire unless you do a lower link triangulation at the tranny plate as even the stock 96mm or whatever they are can hit at times already (in reverse).

Overall, I am very happy with the size of the tire, and actually love the balance (or lack of) on this thing now. The tread is amazing. Hooks up great on the rocks. Havent tried the mud but they are M/T's. The included foam feels perfect. Measuring with a tape, it looks like I get about 1.25" contact patch in the front and 1.00" in back. The difference is probably a result of the battery bias I got from flipping the tray around, bending the stop tab down and zip tying my NiMH as far forward as possible and my lipo below it where the upper shock mount used to be.
IMG_20151210_115934.jpg

Some might hate it because it rolls easy. I love it because it looks cool and it added a little difficulty to it, but just enough to bring the fun factor a notch or two. All i need to do to make its identity questionable is strip the blue from the chassis plates and lower links. I dont care about the shocks because im dumping them for some longer 110mm so i can mount them to my body rails straight up in the wheel well like a real pick up to add to the scale look I've decided to go with.

I need to get some video...

Last edited:
New vid!

Even my son was getting bored with how easy it can crawl in it's natural setup. This setup is much more difficult and we have way more fun driving it now.

You'll see how easy it tips in the end. Oddly, we love it.

Last edited:
I have to agree on fun the fun involved in the challenge to keep it upright on hard crawl lines. That's where I get much of my fun from this rig. That body is perfect! I have my eye on a Grand Cherokee body I have laying in my model box (just a little larger than 1:24), but I'm also considering buying a toy "Sweet Tooth" van (a-la Twisted Metal) and stealing the body.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back