3s lipo on a Temper?

r8derhed5150

I just ordered a 2000mah venom 2s for our Temper. Does anyone know if the electronics can handle a 3s pack? Curious but scarred as well to find out. Kind of worried it might break something but would also like to see a little more speed out of it. It takes a little while to bust a u-turn at WOT.

Maybe a pic of the ecs would help. Is it safe to assume almost any ecs will run at least a 3s? I understand that some lvc might have weird thresholds like I think I've been experiencing with this particular one if I put a fresh pack in at 8.5v It takes a few tries to get it out of lvc (flashes red) , or in this case over volt. That said, think it might be the lvc for a 3s that's chiming in?

Hopefully someone is getting a chuckle out of this. I tend to overthink things. I just want to understand it thoroughly. Thanks for all of your participation. :)CAM00732.jpgCAM00733.jpg

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume almost any ecs will run at least a 3s?
No it's not safe to assume any ECS will even run a LiPo battery in the first place, regardless of being 2s or 3s. If I recall correctly the ECX11007 isn't even LiPo compatible, will probably want to consult the manual before hand.

No it's not safe to assume any ECS will even run a LiPo battery in the first place, regardless of being 2s or 3s. If I recall correctly the ECX11007 isn't even LiPo compatible, will probably want to consult the manual before hand.

We'll what a bummer. My cheerios are soiled. Yeah I looked at the manual and didn't notice anything against it. In fact I don't recall it mentioning anything about a lipo at all. Maybe I'm not understanding some wording in the manual.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If it isn't compatible, do you think it will I just get voltage warnings at worst on a 2s? Or you think it would brick it.

Woodie is correct. NEVER take for granted that something electronic can run at any input voltage. You will fry the input regulator as well as possibly other components.

I guess I was under the assumption that any 2.4ghz combo operated in said fashion. Oh well. Might be a brushless upgrade in the works. Thanks for the warnings

Woodie is correct. NEVER take for granted that something electronic can run at any input voltage. You will fry the input regulator as well as possibly other components.

@WoodiE @X Since I just cannot accept that I can't even run a 2s, I'm going to have to regulate the voltage with a dc to dc converter because 900 mah is just not enough time for my liking. Why do i want to use several batteries when we have the technology to carry one? And charge times? Rediculous in comparison. The only issue I can think of with this is I might get a premature lvc.. If it works and my runtime increases by at least 50% (900 vs. 2000mah plus factor in power draw and poss lvc), think it might turn out to be a cool little mod for around $10. And if I kill the box, a replacement isn't that much and it might be an excuse to get a 4 channel combo instead so I can break up that steering and finally go lipo:cool:
71I+4LNHHSL._SL1200_.jpg

Probably go for one without the displays to save on juice. I only need to set and forget.
"Take a walk on the wild side"

Last edited:
I might be in luck and all this voltage regulator talk may be unnecessary after all. I scoured the manual again to only find one mention of a lipo and all it suggested is to be cautions in wet conditions with this particular chemistry. I'm really considering taking the plunge and plugging it in when it shows up. Take one for the team!

Took the plunge with the 2s and it worked no problem. I haven't even finished this pack yet and it feels like forever. Sweet. So after playing around a little bit and checking voltages and what not, when I put my NiMh in at 8.5v, it seem to have acted like it was in the 3c LVC range (my guess 8.5 - 11.3vish or something). I only suspect that because I haven't seen anything about an OVC around. Someone please let me know if they purposely exist.

So I think I'm going to try a 3s on it. Hope to verify it works as well.

The 2s battery upgrade is a must. Used a dynamite 2-3s charger and took 55 minutes to charge. Played with it in the house for 15 minutes before heading to the beach where I ran it non stop for 2 more hours. I couldn't believe it. We had tire tracks all over a pretty large area. Made a cool little course. I wish I had my phone! Missed out getting our rock spot and our beach session on video this weekend.

I'll be ordering that 3s on thursday to find out if we can get some extra poop out it it without killing it. I got a traxxas 380 motor on the way. Not sure what the difference will be. But get a 2s for sure. Ran non stop like a champ.
batt.jpg

How's it holding up to lipo power? I'm excited to take the plunge, just need more details. I started a battery thread over n the electronics section.

Lol, i forgot all about this. I got so tied up in my suspension that I never made it to 3s. But so far so good on 2s. I don't think I properly broke this pack in. The first charge got me about 2 hours of run time before it hit 7.4v. But I ran it non stop thru the duration. I get about an hour out of it now which is still fine with me. The pack was only like $20. I've been considering a tx/rx/ecs upgrade and just run a common tx across all of my cars. When I eventually do it, I may hook up a 3s to the stock unit to see what happens. I'm just curious since this is a ver.2 RX/ecs unit. What was the upgrade for? Haven't been able to find that out yet.

My Temper, I just picked it up Friday and am already modifying it lol.
I started on day one by cutting up the tire inserts in an attempt to soften them up. Found later its better to just remove them all together.

After that, this is no longer the same truck I took out of the box and I just had I a couple days over a month. I keep saying I'm done with it, but I can't stop!

@r8derhed5150 - It's listed all over the place in ads and reviews, claiming it's a 380. But I can't find any "actual" specs from ECX, Horizon Hobby, or Dynamite (the motor is a Dynamite unit). EDIT - I did find that the Redcat Everest 16 is using a 260 size motor, and these are essentially the same rig. EDIT2 - the Losi RX280 sounds like it could be a decent replacement, but some say it runs hot.

Hoping to go LiPo myself around Christmas time...

Last edited:
Yeah the 380 is just too large. The gearbox doesn't allow enough room for the motor holes to line up. As cheap as a replacement is, I've thought about rewinding one or two to see what happens. One for speed and one for torque. I wish the smaller motors had better specs listed because they all seem the same when shopping around. Just a different label.

I've read about some others opting for the Traxxas Velineon brushless motor. I guess it needs minor things like a 10-11T pinion (so it's not as fast as a stadium truck), slight mod to the motor mount, and in our case, a new Rx/Tx and ESC. Those same folks have HAD to upgrade to the aluminum C-hubs and knuckles due to torquing the axle out of the knuckle axle cup or the knuckle off the C-hub. Maybe an option in the future, with a decent crawler oriented ESC...

I've read about some others opting for the Traxxas Velineon brushless motor. I guess it needs minor things like a 10-11T pinion (so it's not as fast as a stadium truck), slight mod to the motor mount, and in our case, a new Rx/Tx and ESC. Those same folks have HAD to upgrade to the aluminum C-hubs and knuckles due to torquing the axle out of the knuckle axle cup or the knuckle off the C-hub. Maybe an option in the future, with a decent crawler oriented ESC...
Aye yaye yaye. I've been trying to avoid the most costly upgrade, brushless. Yeah, the temper is just a little too slow. Sure I can mess with pinions but i really don't want to change this torque. Well as long as i don't rush into it, hopefully i can find a brushed with a little more oomph.

Guess in should use YouTube videos to gauge all the mini crawler speeds and find out what's powering the faster ones.

Have you tried a 3s LiPo yet? I'm about to pick one of these up and want to get a battery at the same time for longer runs. I'm brand new to this so I'm just copying you guys with whatever works. I'm guessing that any 20C 2S 2000mAh LiPo battery should work out of the box?

Latest posts

Members online

Back