3s lipo on a Temper?

Also, does the ESC have a low voltage cutoff? Or, how do you know when to stop? Sorry for the noob questions...

Welcome to the forum!

I initially wanted to do this because I didn't like how long it took to make a u-turn to set up approach. I've since become more patient with it. After all its only a mini scale.

The 2000mah capacity makes for some winded runs. I only use this pack and it last is about an hour of heavy use. I've messed around at the beach on one charge for around 2 hours on one of the first charges. I didn't baby this pack either, but its not like there's a high draw on this rig so i doubt this battery is ever really stressed. There really isn't much difference in run time between driving or idle believe it or not. It almost seems like the electrics draw more than the motor.

If you are going to try a 2s, just know that i took a shot in the dark at using one. I figured its only a couple of tenths of a volt difference. No problems to this day. I couldn't find any information about a lipo on the Temper except the warnings about it and their claim to "waterproof" found in the manual.

Last, there is actually more room for at least a 2200mah lipo. Maybe more. Just pay attention to the NiMH vs lipo dimensions and you should be able to find one to fill the spot. The 2000 i got is about an inch shorter, enough room for another pair of cells.

Also, does the ESC have a low voltage cutoff? Or, how do you know when to stop? Sorry for the noob questions...
Don't be sorry, that's what this place is for so ask away.

I've never pushed it low enough to find out. Funny that we wrap up our session and the voltage never goes below 7.5v I never allow my pack to go below 7.4v though. But when the pack was brand new it acted like it was hitting what felt like a 3s lvc threshold. Power would cut and the red light on the RX would flash fast. Since breaking this battery in, it hasn't done it since.

Sorry this post happened in error. One of the reasons I've gotten so quiet is because of this phone. I have a few rows of dead lines on my phones digitizer and it gets frustrating trying to fix typos or do anything really.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies... I'm on a phone here too and it gets frustrating for sure. SwiftKey keyboard saves my butt tho.

One follow up question: do you use a multimeter or something to check the voltage? I feel like I wouldn't know when to stop and/or check and I'm a little worried I would run it too low and toast the battery. I think (from reading the manual) that the transmitter only gives a notification below 4v, which I'm guessing is too low for a LiPo battery. What are my options? Would swapping in an ESC with an LVC be an option? I really don't know what I'm doing with this stuff but I'm a fast learner :D

You will know when your batter is low. All of a sudden the performance drops enough to notice. As soon as you see that, stop.

But at first, I was the same way. I didn't want to kill a pack so I picked up a lipo checker at my LHS for 10 bucks. It looks like a thumb drive with some digits on the side. Measures total voltage and indivitial cell voltage as it cycles through each one. I used to leave it plugged in a the time but I noticed at 7.4v is when performance would flatten out. I just sits in my tool bag for checking packs before charging.

Also, of you really want to know when its in the red, they some with lvc alarms. My LHS just happened to only carry a checker only. You can leave these in during use as they have such a low draw. In fact mine was plugged in on my 2 hour run.

Last edited:
I use a voltage checker warning buzzer thing after killing my first lipo battery I bought this just don't let the lipo battery go below 3.2 v you should be ok oh and the buzzer is loud I put one on my other RC too.

image.png

Check
Welcome to the forum!

I initially wanted to do this because I didn't like how long it took to make a u-turn to set up approach. I've since become more patient with it. After all its only a mini scale.

The 2000mah capacity makes for some winded runs. I only use this pack and it last is about an hour of heavy use. I've messed around at the beach on one charge for around 2 hours on one of the first charges. I didn't baby this pack either, but its not like there's a high draw on this rig so i doubt this battery is ever really stressed. There really isn't much difference in run time between driving or idle believe it or not. It almost seems like the electrics draw more than the motor.

If you are going to try a 2s, just know that i took a shot in the dark at using one. I figured its only a couple of tenths of a volt difference. No problems to this day. I couldn't find any information about a lipo on the Temper except the warnings about it and their claim to "waterproof" found in the manual.

Last, there is actually more room for at least a 2200mah lipo. Maybe more. Just pay attention to the NiMH vs lipo dimensions and you should be able to find one to fill the spot. The 2000 i got is about an inch shorter, enough room for another pair of cells.
check this out I bought this one they have others you don't need a hard shell these aren't to big hobby people house brand just some info to share we all try to save money

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 14
I hope this thread isn't dead as I just got my temper today and I'm super new to the rc world. I tried using a 7.4v 15-20c 1200 mah lipo and the red on the esc (I think that's what it's called) will just blink. It will just blink and won't respond to the transmitter. Hopefully you guys can shed some insight as to what my problem is. Thanks in advance!

I hope this thread isn't dead as I just got my temper today and I'm super new to the rc world. I tried using a 7.4v 15-20c 1200 mah lipo and the red on the ESC (I think that's what it's called) will just blink. It will just blink and won't respond to the transmitter. Hopefully you guys can shed some insight as to what my problem is. Thanks in advance!
Was it working before your still running 7.4 volts make sure your transmitter is bound to the receiver I'm running a 2s lipo no problems when running lipo batteries make sure it doesn't drop below 3.2 volts

Was it working before your still running 7.4 volts make sure your transmitter is bound to the receiver I'm running a 2s lipo no problems when running lipo batteries make sure it doesn't drop below 3.2 volts
Yeah everything works fine with the supplied 7.2v nimh battery every time, but when I plug in the 7.4v lipo it just blinks...

Did you change anything else besides the battery? I'm running new electronics with mine
No I didn't, it's all the same as it came out of the box. I just bought it yesterday, the worker at my lhs said it would work just fine on a lipo. Kinda bummed...

I'm running a 2s lipo no problems when running lipo batteries make sure it doesn't drop below 3.2 volts

Careful with that voltage!! 3.6V is the minimum! Bellow that you are taking damage to lipo cell. A fly a lot with 250 race quad's and 3.6v down they just fall off the sky! :eek:

For safe and longer Lipo cycles set your lipo alarm to 3.6v

When I bought my temper I also bought a 2s lipo battery got home charged the battery put it in and no problems go back to your lhs and tell the guy that sold it to you that it doesn't work with the lipo battery I run a 2s still today

Do you have a way to test the battery voltage in the lipo battery? If so test it if the voltage is higher than 7.2 try to discharge to 7.2 is so and try it it could be a safe mode " just be careful " post a picture of your set up

A charged 2S lipo battery it's 8.4V (4.2V each cell)

4.20v = 100%
4.03v = 76%
3.86v = 52%
3.83v = 42%
3.79v = 30%
3.70v = 11%
3.6?v = 0%

You can check the voltage on each single cell with a multimeter on balancing connector

lipo-wiring1.png

A charged 2S lipo battery it's 8.4V (4.2V each cell)

4.20v = 100%
4.03v = 76%
3.86v = 52%
3.83v = 42%
3.79v = 30%
3.70v = 11%
3.6?v = 0%

You can check the voltage on each single cell with a multimeter on balancing connector

lipo-wiring1.png
I have a tester I always test my batteries before and after charging I asked you if you had a way to test your battery I just don't understand why your temper isn't working on the lipo battery but anyway I changed all of my electronics to work my rear steer I don't like the all in one esc I would ask the guy/girl at your LHS let us know what you find out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online

Back